.284 brass to 6.5x284

johnp034

How difficult is to convert .284 brass to 6.5x284 brass? I know, just run it thru a 6.5 die, but full length? neck only? Any special lubes or tricks? Been reloading for quite some time, but never tried this.

thanks,

I guess I can't answer your question. But, I have to ask one....Why form cases when you can simply buy them? I know I can make 25.06, 6.5-06, 270, and 280 brass from my 30-06 brass...but I don't.

No biggy...just wonderin. I know that the 6.5-284 brass from Norma is good stuff.

How difficult is to convert .284 brass to 6.5x284 brass? I know, just run it thru a 6.5 die, but full length? neck only? Any special lubes or tricks? Been reloading for quite some time, but never tried this.

thanks,

It is easier to convert 284 down to 6.5x284 than up. Just full length size it should be the same length to the shoulder depending on your chamber. If your Chamber is a little longer you can neck size to create a false shoulder and fireform this will put the least amount of stress on your brass and should prevent case head seperation. It is not really harder to convert up it just often times requires a tapered expander for your dies. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.