284 brass questions

Gray R

Hey guys. I'm thinking of doing a 284 win for my next build but with brass availability what it is I understand I'd have to form it. I don't think I'd mind forming it I just don't know what I'd be getting myself into. I basically taught myself how to reload so this site has become my favorite learning tool so please tell me what I'd need to purchase and the process before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance

Not much needed to neck up 6.5x284 brass, it's a simple as running it through a regular .284 sizing die with next expander..........I have a light weight 284 Win and love the caliber. Everyonce in a while you can get Winchester brass and it doesn't take much for a hunting gun.

Yeah I'm pretty intrigued by it. I also am
A fan of 280 Remingtons and I can buy brass for that one which is why I'm torn. I shouldn't try and kid myself im gonna wind up with both eventually

I am a .284 Nut. I recently bought a box of Nosler custom brass in 6.5x284. I have a lot of Winchester brass but I have to weigh every case it varies from 193gr. to 213gr. I sort them and adj. loads accordingly. I have two rifles custom made . One has a long barrel 27 1/4'' and the other has a 25''. The Nosler brass average 197gr.
I use the 168 Berger VLD in the long barrel and a Nosler 140 Bal. Tip. in the short barrel. The reamer I had used is a .284 Win. GAP Match chamber. I seat the 168 out to 3.120'' and use Reloder 17 in both rifles.gun)

Simple to make just like already posted. Buy 6.7X284 and simply resize with the 284 die and your done. I'm shooting lapua 6.5X284 through my 284 win.

A couple of years ago I bought a box of Lapua brass and was not impressed. It needed prepping. I think for the price they want for it. It should be fully prepped.gun)

I'm by no means an expert but I just bought a box of lapua 308 brass and I thought it was almost too pretty shoot haha I don't have much experience in this game but it looked good to me.

My favorite deer & bear gun the last few years has been my Micro-Medallion in 284 Winchester. It's great to reload for too. I laid up a supply of Winchester brass back when it wasn't hard to find. If you do get one I would just form a working supply from wherever as you keep looking for 284 stamped brass.

As much as I like my 284, truth be known, the 7mm-08 isn't far behind in performance. The ballistics are close enough to hardly matter with differences. I have a 7mm-08 too, but I like my 284.

What's your bullet of choice? I ask
Because I just traded into a 7 mag and it's lookin like it's gonna be what I use for my first try at elk when I move to CO. I was going to use my 308 win and 190 Bergers but the 7 mag and 168 Bergers is tempting and now I'm torn

I try not to get to deep in the weeds when it comes to bullet particulars. I have used the 30 cal partition for bear hunting and 6mm partition for deer hunting. Usually with the 7mm on up I just used whatever shoots good, usually a Sierra or Hornady offering. It's bullet placement that matters most.

When one gets to a smaller round for the job at hand, premium bullets provide extra insurance. With my 284 I usually load 140 grn bullets, then some 120 grain.

Well guys , I have killed several nice big Mule deer and one Antelope and a bunch of coyotes with the .284 Win. To know it is to like it.
Recently I had a Savage long savage re barreled with a SHILEN S/S 8 TWIST AND A BRAKE . I HAD IT MADE FOR LONG RANGE SHOOTING WITH THE 175 SIERRA MATCH KING SEATED OUT TO A O.A.L. OF 3.100.I TRIED THE NEW Berger 180 VLD AND THE 168 VLD. They all shot very good but I choose the 168 Berger. I get 2950 from a 27 1/4'' barrel. Long range accuracy has been outstanding. I am taking the this combination Antelope hunting this fall.
My other .284 is a model 70 win. and has a Shilen 25'' barrel with a one in 9 twist. I am still working up loads for this one using 140,150,160 Nosler B.t. and Accubonds.gun)

When using 6.5 284 Lapua brass , and probably other brass necked up , remember to remove the dounuts formed in the neck on expanding the 6.5 neck or you will need about a 200 thou throat to avoid seating the rear of a 180 projectile on the doughnut which will not help accuracy at all

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.