280ai vs 7mm rem mag?

10% is quite a bit ha ha!! I mean look at these cartridges claiming they that have 10% less case capacity and doing 10% more than there bigger counterparts!:D:D trying to hold my laughter in on that one!!!
and yes i guess stomp the **** out of it was a little drastic i apologize! but 10% is 10% and that's in the end what its about right! LOL

Never had a problem, and right at 3K with a 185 VLD I'm still not topped-out, but I don't feel like punishing my rifle more than I already do.

Also, what's the point in wildcatting, if you're not going to use the extra performance it offers? :cool:
I should have clarified better.
If we are going to compare cartridges. Then let's do it right. Are we talking about a "standard" 30-06 AI vs a standard 300 Win, no special lead angles or free bore? If so, the 30-06 AI will not push a 215 Berger anywhere near what a Win mag will safely with equal barrel lengths. Nor will it with a 185.

I should have clarified better.
If we are going to compare cartridges. Then let's do it right. Are we talking about a "standard" 30-06 AI vs a standard 300 Win, no special lead angles or free bore? If so, the 30-06 AI will not push a 215 Berger anywhere near what a Win mag will safely with equal barrel lengths. Nor will it with a 185.
26" 1:12 twist 6-groove, Standard throat and leade, as far as I know... My smith specs all his own reamers, case falls in spec, but I have no idea about leade and throat dimensions.

Never had a problem, and right at 3K with a 185 VLD I'm still not topped-out, but I don't feel like punishing my rifle more than I already do.

Also, what's the point in wildcatting, if you're not going to use the extra performance it offers? :cool:

I get it to each his own but the wildcatting to me is taking a new case and trying something that no one else has and truly being able to call it your own!

I get it to each his own but the wildcatting to me is taking a new case and trying something that no one else has and truly being able to call it your own!
I agree. I've drawn up over 200 different wildcats of unique designs, but scrapped about 100 of them because they overlapped something else. I still have about 100 of them saved that are truly unique and could actually change "the game"...Just haven't had the funds to make them a reality yet.

ha ha ha well 4% 5% 10% its still a difference and when running the heaviest bullets per cal in these cases the 7 mag will win!! Sorry But I've literally shot hundreds of rounds (probably more like thousands) out of both time and time again and the 7 will beat it.

Last edited:
Regardless of capacity, velocity numbers don't lie. Nobody said there wasn't a difference. We just said it close.

Yes, there is a difference between the .280 AI and 7mmRM... That is not what I'm discussing. I'm talking about the .280 Sherman vs. the 7mmRM.

.280 AI vs .280 Sherman are two different animals.

Also, after 5 different 7RM's and 16 years of hunting and shooting them, I've shot literally thousands of rounds of 7mmRM...Even burned-out a couple barrels. Trust me, I know there's a difference...But it's not what I would call a "stomp the **** out of it" difference. 3-5% at most (100-150 FPS MV) on average for the .280 AI vs 7mmRM. And the .280 Sherman eliminates any gap in performance and is nearly identical with the 7mmRM.

It's all just a matter of opinion 3-5% might be considered alot to someone else, but might not be to others.

Last edited:
those Sherman cartridges have a way of running with the belted mag. the 338 Sherman they are working with now keeps up with my 338 win mag with less powder. Rich sure has that case perfected.

Regardless of capacity, velocity numbers don't lie. Nobody said there wasn't a difference. We just said it close.

Yes, there is a difference between the .280 AI and 7mmRM... That is not what I'm discussing. I'm talking about the .280 Sherman vs. the 7mmRM.

.280 AI vs .280 Sherman are two different animals.

Also, after 5 different 7RM's and 16 years of hunting and shooting them, I've shot literally thousands of rounds of 7mmRM...Even burned-out a couple barrels. Trust me, I know there's a difference...But it's not what I would call a "stomp the **** out of it" difference. 3-5% at most (100-150 FPS MV) on average for the .280 AI vs 7mmRM. And the .280 Sherman eliminates any gap in performance and is nearly identical with the 7mmRM.

It's all just a matter of opinion 3-5% might be considered alot to someone else, but might not be to others.

Um 150 fps is huge at top end using temp stable powders brass is literally everywhere and running 180-190 class bullets is it not?. If its not then why shoot a 28 nosler or better yet 7 rum or better yet a 7-300norma improved or 7-338 lapua improved for that extra 150 fps gain over one or another??? a 2gr increase in capacity doesn't equate to a 180gr @ 28-2900sh to a 180@ 3100fps!

I tell you what lets do this i will supply barrels actions and time you find a way to supply me a reamer and dies for 280 Sherman and i will test them to both their fullest @ SAFE potential then we shall see with true numbers where its at when smoke clears! DEAL:D

Um 150 fps is huge at top end using temp stable powders brass is literally everywhere and running 180-190 class bullets is it not?. If its not then why shoot a 28 nosler or better yet 7 rum or better yet a 7-300norma improved or 7-338 lapua improved for that extra 150 fps gain over one or another??? a 2gr increase in capacity doesn't equate to a 180gr @ 28-2900sh to a 180@ 3100fps!

I tell you what lets do this i will supply barrels actions and time you find a way to supply me a reamer and dies for 280 Sherman and i will test them to both their fullest @ SAFE potential then we shall see with true numbers where its at when smoke clears! DEAL:D
How am I going to provide you with something I don't own the rights to, nor does anyone else, except the proprietor himself? Why not contact the person who designed and developed the .280 Sherman...And who has all the reamers, rents them out, sells Sherman dies, has all the chrono numbers & load data, etc... Rich Sherman. Who is a member on this site. His username is "elkaholic".

So, how about you give him a call and discuss it with him. Deal? :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.