280ai vs 7mm rem mag?

I would keep the cartridge within reasonable bullet weights. In other words, 280AI and 162-168 grain bullets. If you plan on something heavier, then the 7 mag.
A 280 AI with a fast 162 ELD is about perfect. A 7mag would probably shove a 180 as fast as the 280Ai shoves a 162.[/QUOTE
I believe this is true.
I have reached 3100' with the 180 in a Sherman with RWS brass. As a side note, Huntington was convinced to buy a "BUTTLOAD" as he put it, of RWS 270 brass for this Sept. because of all the guys calling for it for the L A Shermans. They discontinued the 280 brass.
If the O P decides to go with the A.I., I would get the 270 RWS brass even though it needs fire forming!

well built 7rem mag running 180 hybrid or 195 will stomp the **** out of any 270-280 based cartridge!
You might should try them both before making such a bold statement.

People said the same thing about a .300WM compared to my .30-06 AI pushing a 185 VLD at VERY similar velocities... But it does.

You might should try them both before making such a bold statement.

People said the same thing about a .300WM compared to my .30-06 AI pushing a 185 VLD at VERY similar velocities... But it does.

^^^^^This is funny!!!! why the heck would you shoot a 185 berger in a 300 win mag BUD??? Throw a 215 or 230 at em then tell me where your at!! OH AND trust me, I've tried them both several times on many different occasions. Proof is in the pudding BUD! Ive ran them literally side by side running same length barrel, same brand, same twist etc. same quality of brass (That you can actually get), with SAFE top end load in both and the 7mag wins BUD sorry! Not saying the 280 AI isn't a sweet little round if your gonna shoot 160 class bullets then let er rip it is a super sweet sleek sexy looking case, but with a 180 and heavier run the 7mag! you can build the rifle the same weight and simply saying it will out do the bigger 7 mag when all things are considered equal is just incorrect!

^^^^^This is funny!!!! why the heck would you shoot a 185 berger in a 300 win mag BUD??? Throw a 215 or 230 at em then tell me where your at!! OH AND trust me, I've tried them both several times on many different occasions. Proof is in the pudding BUD! Ive ran them literally side by side running same length barrel, same brand, same twist etc. same quality of brass (That you can actually get), with SAFE top end load in both and the 7mag wins BUD sorry! Not saying the 280 AI isn't a sweet little round if your gonna shoot 160 class bullets then let er rip it is a super sweet sleek sexy looking case, but with a 180 and heavier run the 7mag! you can build the rifle the same weight and simply saying it will out do the bigger 7 mag when all things are considered equal is just incorrect!
Agreed, most guys are running 215 Bergers at 2900-3000fps in the Win mag. If you are running that in a 30-06 AI, please tell me if I'm near you shooting, so I can get the hell away from you!!

Actually I shoot 210's and 215's in my .308 Win, .300WM, and .300 Ackley, but comparing velocities for velocity's sake, it was worth the comparison.

And actually, I was comparing a .280 Sherman to a 7mmRM when I said "****-near a 7mmRM". I wasn't referring to the .280 AI. I know there is a small performance advantage with the 7mmRM, having shot and hunted with 5 different 7RM rifles over 16 years.

Agreed, most guys are running 215 Bergers at 2900-3000fps in the Win mag. If you are running that in a 30-06 AI, please tell me if I'm near you shooting, so I can get the hell away from you!!
Never had a problem, and right at 3K with a 185 VLD I'm still not topped-out, but I don't feel like punishing my rifle more than I already do.

Also, what's the point in wildcatting, if you're not going to use the extra performance it offers? :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.