280AI Powders

muleyman

I realize this has probably been answered before, however I could not find a comprised list of particular powders that work good. I am about to get my rifle back from the smith and with the powder/primer craze going on right now, I would prefer not to use a bunch of it up developing loads. I'm hoping to get the best compromise between top velocity and accuracy. What powders seem to work best for this cartridge using (150-160 grn bullets), no actual loads are needed if you don't want to post them, I'm just basically trying to cut corners in load development. Thanks in advance for the help..............

Last edited:
Depends of the weight of bullet you intend to use.

Off the top of my head, I would guess that you would use fast powder in the H/IMR4350 range to the slow powder like H1000 and, everything between.

RL 22 has a burn rate that is near ideal for that case. VVN560, IMR7828 is also a good powder that gets you near full case capacity with good velocity. Nosler has limited data on the 280AI on their website.

+1 on Re22.. One of my favorites for a multitude of catridges. I am also very partial to Varget due to it's extreme stability. As a matter of fact Varget is loaded in my RRA AR with 70 grain pills, my 22-250 with 45 grainers, one of my .280 rem. with 120 grain barnes as well as my Cooper 6.5 x .284. It is very versatile and depending on your climate might be the answer to those pressure swings. I live in South Georgia and we shoot in conditions ranging in the upper nineties in the fall to lower thirties by the end of the season in an extreme winter. It seems to shoot pretty much the same group no matter what the temps. Every load listed above are less than 3/4 MOA. You might want to give it a try. here is some data Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com
Hodgdon indicates almost 2700 fps with a 160 grain pill. That's pretty much strokin there. Also 3100+ if you drop to the 120 grain.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.