280AI powder

Elkwonder

I asked a while back about what powder seemed to work best with the 280AI and had a couple people tell me Hodgdon h4831. So I buzz down to scheels and pick up a jug. Now tonight Im reading around and start to notice that most people are running the 4831 for the 280AI, but its the 4831SC.....
So, will both the standard 4831 and the 4831SC work with the 280AI, or is the 4831SC better for the 280AI? If I have to, I will just chalk it up to a lesson learned and go track down a jug of the 4831sc if need be. I don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to work with the standard 4831 if the sc is better suited.......lol
Thanks

As far as your question goes. There is no difference between H4831 and H4831sc as far as burn rate, pressure or performance down range. The H4831sc just meters better.
I have burned both out of a 280AI pushing the 168 gr. VLD's and can see no difference other than a slight adjustment because of lot numbers but that holds true with most powders.

I am running IMR 7828 in mine.
You do not state what weight bullet your running, but I am running 140's as this is mainly a whitetail gun.

Anyone tinker with the 195 in the 280 AI? I started a thread over at Accurate Shooter about caliber choice for Steel...the 280 AI was brought up. When I asked about getting to 2900ish with the 195 , Retumbo and RL33 were brought up as candidates.

Sorry to hyjack, but is seems the the OP has been answered.

ok some how I was lucky enough to get them to swap out the 4831 standard for the 4831SC. And I plan on running the 150 grain ttsx

I have ran both versions through my 280AI. I use a Barnes 145 LRX and prefer the standard H4831.
It give me lower Sds due to a better load case fill. It is very slightly compressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.