280 Rem vs 284Win

supersonic

Hello to everyone.

I am the new here and I want to apologize for my pure english.I live in Europe.I would be pleased if you could give me an advice.
I shoot long range matches and hunt in eastern Europe. I use for both the 6,5x55.
I would like to move to the 7mm cartridge to be able to better compete against bigger calibers like 300WM. I do want to avoid really big 7mm cases like 7 SAUM and bigger. That is why I want to use 7x64 or itś almost twin 280 Rem or 284Win. All have almost the same case capacity but longer and narrower cases would give me the advantage of magazine capacity 5cases inside instead of just 4. But 6,5 x55 seems hard to me to achieve low velocity spread. Would velocity spread be lower with 280rem compare to 284Win provided the same let say quality cases would be use,but no neck turning..?? If yeas,how big would be the diference between the two?
Thanks a lot for yor help.
Petr

Hello to everyone.

I am the new here and I want to apologize for my pure english.I live in Europe.I would be pleased if you could give me an advice.
I shoot long range matches and hunt in eastern Europe. I use for both the 6,5x55.
I would like to move to the 7mm cartridge to be able to better compete against bigger calibers like 300WM. I do want to avoid really big 7mm cases like 7 SAUM and bigger. That is why I want to use 7x64 or itś almost twin 280 Rem or 284Win. All have almost the same case capacity but longer and narrower cases would give me the advantage of magazine capacity 5cases inside instead of just 4. But 6,5 x55 seems hard to me to achieve low velocity spread. Would velocity spread be lower with 280rem compare to 284Win provided the same let say quality cases would be use,but no neck turning..?? If yeas,how big would be the diference between the two?
Thanks a lot for yor help.
Petr

Had you thought about the 280 AI ?

It will fit your magazine and will give the performance of the 7mm Rem Mag, Brass life is very good and forming the brass is straight forward if you can get 280 rem brass or cases.

Just a thought for you.

J E CUSTOM

It will fit your magazine and will give the performance of the 7mm Rem Mag, Brass life is very good and forming the brass is straight forward if you can get 280 rem brass or cases.

Just a thought for you.

J E CUSTOM

JE beat me to it.....From the sounds of it, the .280 Ackley Improved is exactly what you are looking for.

It is a great caliber. It will actually be my next custom build.

Just a thought for you.

J E CUSTOM

Hello,

thank you for your advice. I thought about it too,but I am not sure whether I could afford it. I do mean,there would be some extra costs-barrel life would be a bit shorter since I would need to fireform first,it would cost me some extra time to spend while fireforming and so on..plus buing new dies. Other than that,it surely must be real good cartridge(caliber). Since I already have some 7x64 dies from past(I reloaded for my friend)- I lean toward 7x64. It is very close to 280Rem looks nerly the same ,has the same case capacity. I am just afraid,that 284win might give lower velocity spread..atherwise there would be no reason why it should be so widely used in USA by F class shooters..What do you think about velocity spread problem?

To be honest, unless you have surplus cash... keep what you have and spend the $$$ on bullets and more reloading equipment. People worry too much about cartridge design and not enough about putting pill on paper.
If you can afford both reloading stuff and the smithing awesome...awesome. Its fun having exactly what you want and to shoot it a lot, but most people don't shoot enough to make the extra little bit of ballistics count.

Hello,

thank you for your advice. I thought about it too,but I am not sure whether I could afford it. I do mean,there would be some extra costs-barrel life would be a bit shorter since I would need to fireform first,it would cost me some extra time to spend while fireforming and so on..plus buing new dies. Other than that,it surely must be real good cartridge(caliber). Since I already have some 7x64 dies from past(I reloaded for my friend)- I lean toward 7x64. It is very close to 280Rem looks nerly the same ,has the same case capacity. I am just afraid,that 284win might give lower velocity spread..atherwise there would be no reason why it should be so widely used in USA by F class shooters..What do you think about velocity spread problem?
Not necessarily...

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder Box of 50 - 10175 - Midway UK

Hello,

There has been a lot of post about the 280 AI and in my opinion it is not hard on barrels. It is great on brass. And there is no need to fire form the brass.

If it is set up correctly you can get 1/2 MOA accuracy with the factory ammo and fire form at the same time.

The standard 280 Rem ammo is readily available and low cost. Most of the people that I have built 280 AIs use factory ammo for hunting and fire form at the same time. Then for the Long range hunting (800+ Yards) they load the once fired brass with heaver bullets.

So In essence, the 280 AI is two rifles in one.

J E CUSTOM

There has been a lot of post about the 280 AI and in my opinion it is not hard on barrels. It is great on brass. And there is no need to fire form the brass.

If it is set up correctly you can get 1/2 MOA accuracy with the factory ammo and fire form at the same time.

The standard 280 Rem ammo is readily available and low cost. Most of the people that I have built 280 AIs use factory ammo for hunting and fire form at the same time. Then for the Long range hunting (800+ Yards) they load the once fired brass with heaver bullets.

So In essence, the 280 AI is two rifles in one.

J E CUSTOM
Bingo! And that's why I love the .280 AI.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder Box of 50 - 10175 - Midway UK[/QUOTE]

is

Untitled_zpsa8ef49f0.jpg

Not sure if it's worth the price for you.

In the US, that same item would be ~$75. Having said that, I'd stick on what is readily available and more cost effective in your local area. The 7x64 Brenneke is no slouch ... go for it! :cool:gun)

Good luck!

is

Untitled_zpsa8ef49f0.jpg

Not sure if it's worth the price for you.

In the US, that same item would be ~$75. Having said that, I'd stick on what is readily available and more cost effective in your local area. The 7x64 Brenneke is no slouch ... go for it! :cool:gun)

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for your information.
7x64 is my favourite now for the reasons you mentioned.
I am thinking about trying to get the brand new reamer from US- Mr. Kiff-to get it tailored exactly for the new 180gr Scenar from Lapua.
Best regards,Petr

Thank you very much for your information.
7x64 is my favourite now for the reasons you mentioned.
I am thinking about trying to get the brand new reamer from US- Mr. Kiff-to get it tailored exactly for the new 180gr Scenar from Lapua.
Best regards,Petr
Dave Kiff is a great guy. Very nice, and really knows his stuff. I'm sure he'll help in any ways possible.

Petr,

You're quite welcome! Keep us posted on 7x64 endeavor(s). Cheers!

Hi,
thanks for your interest in my future project. I will keep you infom,but it may happen,that it could take a long time to get it all done. For this year I have ordered Blaser R8rifle with my long time favorite caliber 6,5x55 and semiweight barrel. 7x64 I would like to get a longer than standart factory barrel length and perhaps quality reamer to make perfect chamber. It will take a lot of time. But one day I will experience this stronger caliber for sure.
I am happy to be able to get a some good informations here ,all with thanks to good people like you who are willing to give advice and do not mind my poor english.

Best regards,Petr

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.