280 AI modified cases for Hornady/Stoney pt. tool

fire form first and use this case. I make 2 cases if a standard cal. and make 3 if wildcat, as I have found differences in case from same lot. I average the OAL between 'em . (yah, yah, I know about trimming, but I still have found enuf difference to keep doing it this way ) After all, the idea is to find the seating depth for THAT rifle and even a difference of .0001 oal is a difference worth noting.

Now THAT'S a concept I had not considered before. GOOD point!

In my opinion, it wouldn't matter. The measurement from the base of the case to the bullet's ogive would be the same, no?
!

From MTBULLET:
"fire form first and use this case. I make 2 cases if a standard cal. and make 3 if wildcat, as I have found differences in case from same lot. I average the OAL between 'em . (yah, yah, I know about trimming, but I still have found enuf difference to keep doing it this way ) After all, the idea is to find the seating depth for THAT rifle and even a difference of .0001 oal is a difference worth noting."

I KNOW I don't have the mircometer and skills to find OAL to .0001. Wish I did, but reality comes home w/ a vengenance everytime!

This is gettin gooooood.........wait till I go get the popcorn
I'm learning something here!

In my opinion, it wouldn't matter. The measurement from the base of the case to the bullet's ogive would be the same, no?

I think no, when you are using the Stoney Point you are using the tool to push the case into the chamber until it headspaces off of the shoulder. If you are full length sizing and bumping the shoulder back the end measurement should vary by the amount that you are bumping the shoulder back as compared to the fire formed case which should give you the actual measurement from the bolt face to the lands.

I'm in Montana, will do it for you also if you want. pm me if you want .

I just joined LRH after I read this post. Are you still modifying cases? I'm in the process of build my 280AI and trying to find a modified case.
Thanks

I just joined LRH after I read this post. Are you still modifying cases? I'm in the process of build my 280AI and trying to find a modified case.
Thanks

All the time. You need a 5/16-36 tpi tap, and a once fired case from your chamber.

Just made a 264 WM Friday.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.