.280 Ackley Improved / 7mm Remington Magnum

2975 fps with a 175 gr is impressive. What powder and barrel length?
26" 1:9" Proof Research
RL23
250 yard zero. Drops verified from 100 to 1600+

I am finalizing a Barnes load too for one of the areas I hunt that requests the use of non-lead bullets.

145 Barnes LRX @ 3110fps @ 200 yards. Outside of that black box is about 3/4".

Last edited:
I own a 280 AI in a H S Precision and my brother has one in a Fierce, both shoot 150 gr. Barnes TTSX well below .5 MOA out to 600 yards. That's as far as my range will allow me to shoot. Shot a Mtn. Goat in BC last year at 500 yards with mine, low recoiling, lightweight rifles, excellent sheep/goat caliber.

Like all rifles...it can be the shooter shoots it great or it could be the rifle does what it is built to do....
Most every rifle can have a round built to make it shoot well...
I think most 280ai may be built lighter than most 7mags..
Makes a big difference lugging a 10# rifle all day or a 8# rifle...
My old 7mag adl weighed w/scope 10.5#....hated it...bought a tikka lite 7mag..8# with scope....I didn't mind the recoil but didn't like the safety on it as I hunted a lot of brush on the coast..best safety in brush is one that you can open the bolt without taking it off safety...
Remington, ruger or Winchester all open without having to be off safety....
Bench guns vs pack rifles....weight matters...

Like all rifles...it can be the shooter shoots it great or it could be the rifle does what it is built to do....
Most every rifle can have a round built to make it shoot well...
I think most 280ai may be built lighter than most 7mags..
Makes a big difference lugging a 10# rifle all day or a 8# rifle...
My old 7mag adl weighed w/scope 10.5#....hated it...bought a tikka lite 7mag..8# with scope....I didn't mind the recoil but didn't like the safety on it as I hunted a lot of brush on the coast..best safety in brush is one that you can open the bolt without taking it off safety...
Remington, ruger or Winchester all open without having to be off safety....
Bench guns vs pack rifles....weight matters...
Funny, I am used to carrying a 10.5-12# rifle. Occasionally a 14-15.5# rifle. So the 10.5# is easy. But my 8lb 15oz .280AI seems like a featherweight to me when carrying it.

I have a 26 nosler factory rifle....not sure on the actual weight but it carries much like my older 280ai Remington mountain rifle...actually it may carry easier...it has to be much heavier..26" barrel vs 22"..and a bit bulkier.....and the Remington stock doesn't weigh 2#...
10.5#....7rum must be in that category..2001 sps ss sporter....
Picked it up on a trade....now sits with lrp 6-20 leupold....shoots nice...just a bit heavy for packing for me....but it sure is fun to shoot wwwwwaaaaayyyyyy over there....fun to see the vapor trails...