.280 Ackley Improved / 7mm Remington Magnum

Greg Duerr

I'm surprised that I see so many guys that shoot the .280 AI there must be a reason why they would go that route when the 7mm RM is right next to it...........

Maybe someone could tell me why.

A Little less powder
A Little Less recoil
Better case life
No belt
Fit 5 in magazine instead of 3
All that and get very close to same ballistics as 7 rm.

Most important reason is is 280 AI sounds way cooler than 7 rem mag!!

To me 280AI is the perfect balance in terms of down range ballistics, enough for just about all big game and reasonable recoil, not to expensive to load.

A Little less powder
A Little Less recoil
Better case life
No belt

To me 280AI is the perfect balance in terms of down range ballistics, enough for just about all big game and reasonable recoil, not to expensive to load.

Plinker Said it well! That's why I have two 280 AI's and sold my last 7mm mag. Just shot my 280 last week with 175 Bergers and @ 2850 fps AND 1/2" MOA it's a WINNER. Only negative is I can't buy ammo for her @ Walmart. And Oh Ya, the 280 Ackley Looks cooler too!

Last edited:
Nosler factory 160 partitions in my cooper 92 backcountry worked fine in my rifle but I will say 140 AB and 150 AB LR did not shoot that great
Picture is a 5 shot group

Attachments

• 280AI.jpg
    280AI.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
If that's the 140's or 150's I'd say that's a good group. My Cooper didn't shoot any better than that with hand loads that's why she's gone. For factory loads I'd be pleased.

I use Nosler 280AI brass in my Cooper. Works good. Load with H4831SC and a 168 Berger classic hunter at 2900 fps.

I have one of each. They are close in performance, BUT...I run my .280AI quite hot (175 Elite Hunter @ 2975), and my 7RM pretty mild (180 Hybrid @ 2996). Both are 1/4 minute rifles. The .280AI is a little less scoped and a little lighter (3-15 Premier @ 8lbs 15oz all in) vs. the 7RM (3-20 S&B @ 10lbs 6oz all in). Both are 26" barrels plus brakes.

Potayto-Potahto.

A Little less powder
A Little Less recoil
Better case life
No belt

The .280 AI has been one of my favorites for nearly 2 decades, and always wanted one, but still have yet to build one. I have been shooting/hunting with the 7mmRM for over 16 years. Both are exceptional cartridges. The .280 AI does better with the 168-175 grain or lighter bullets. The 7mmRM will shine over the .280 AI with the 180 and heavier bullets.

Less recoil - True
Better case life - False, both cartridges can get good case life
No belt - Belted or not makes no difference if you know how to properly reload ammo
Fit 5 in the mag - True
Close to 7RM ballistics - True, but still not quite. ;)

Thats what Cooper told a Friend of mine that has a Cooper In the .280AI
If it's an older Cooper it might not work with the factory Nosler .280 AI brass. Cooper might have since changed to the new Nosler/SAAMI spec reamer for their chambers. I have heard this before, but no personal experience with Coopers.