.280 Ackley Improved

Glocklover72

I joined this forum last week and my first thread got exceptional feedback. It was a question of whether to go with the 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08. Thanks for all the feedback. Well members before I purchase one or the other calibers I mentioned in the last thread I have another dilemma to deal with. I will be receiving an Alamo Precision Rifle in 280 AI. Don't know much about this caliber but have stated researching. It seems up until a few years ago factory ammo was not an option and there is not much to choose from. I don't reload and probably never will. I work a lot plus I have one in college, one in high school and one in diapers.......lol. So I'm wondering if anybody knows if their is any reputable hand loaders that will reload some rounds for me to purchase. Also any insight on this caliber would be greatly appreciated.

I joined this forum last week and my first thread got exceptional feedback. It was a question of whether to go with the 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08. Thanks for all the feedback. Well members before I purchase one or the other calibers I mentioned in the last thread I have another dilemma to deal with. I will be receiving an Alamo Precision Rifle in 280 AI. Don't know much about this caliber but have stated researching. It seems up until a few years ago factory ammo was not an option and there is not much to choose from. I don't reload and probably never will. I work a lot plus I have one in college, one in high school and one in diapers.......lol. So I'm wondering if anybody knows if their is any reputable hand loaders that will reload some rounds for me to purchase. Also any insight on this caliber would be greatly appreciated.

280AI is available loaded nowadays. It is one of those PERFECT cases. Does more than it should and is easy to work with and easy on the shoulder.

The 280ai is a sweetheart cartridge. But it's still mainly for a reloader. Those Nosler factory rounds are going to be great, but expensive. I'd recommend saving the used brass, because it's great stuff. Maybe you can find someone who will reload those for you.

I have shot the Nosler factory 280 AI out of 2 rifles and had very good results.I also load my own. Colorado custom cartridge will load for you have not used them myself though.

Superior ammunition is another reloader u could use.
Or find someone to do it for you maybe. If you are not doing really precision or long range, factory Ammo will work.

Not to be facetious but you'll probably spend more time looking for factory ammo that is accurate/effective in your particular rifle or finding/dealing with another reloader than you would just loading your own.

What will be your primary use for the rifle? Informal target, local matches, hunting? What ranges are we talking about? You can narrow down a couple of good bullet/powder combos and get respectable accuracy without a ton of load development depending on your requirements.

When time is that hard to come by hate to see you burn it chasing your tail.

Ive got a full custom that I had built up with a Brux pipe in 280 AI, as well as an M48 Patriot in the same round...
I run a few different loads in the rifles...
A 140 Nosler BT/CT ~3250 fps With 54.5 RL17, I have tested to 3400 fps... and NO I wont tell you what I was running...lol However, the brass life WAS good
I also run a 175 ABLR with 60 grains of I7977. Nets me right around 2750.
I run WLRMs in most of my cartridges, short of the 6.5 Creeds I run... I only have one case of 215s left, and I'm using them sparingly.gun)

I think you will like the 280 AI. I have one in a Cooper that likes H4831SC and 168 Berger Classic Hunters. I would suggest this combo if you do reload. The classic hunter is very forgiving as far as seating depth. It is not the fastest load but is accurate. I may also try a few rounds this winter with R26.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.