28 Nosler vs 300 rum on mule deer and elk

Cartridge choice

• Total voters

Rifleman97

I'm currently saving up for a custom built long range rifle, and I've narrowed down caliber choice to these two calibers. Both would be throated long for either the 195's for the Nosler or the 215 or 230 bergers for the rum. It seems to me like the Nosler is taking off and the rum is dying (even though I love the rum) both have similar brass availability in my area (possibly more availability for the Nosler but not a whole lot more) and it costs pretty much the same.
Rum has a wider face, but the Nosler can fire the 180's and 195's that have the same or higher BC than the rum, with lower recoil.
Rifle will be suppressed, so it will have some recoil reduction but not as much as a well made brake so recoil is a little bit of a concern.

I know the rum will hit harder on both ends, they both have about the same barrel life give or take, but the Nosler can use a slightly shorter action.
At 1000 yards (maybe as I get better 1200) is the rum worth the extra recoil and similar if not slightly lower BC's?

It'll be another 4-6 months before I start the project but now is as good of time as any to narrow down what specs I want.

I'm throwing the 30 Nosler and 300 Norma in the poll just to see if anyone thinks they're worth considering, but as of posting this the 28 and the 300 rum are my primary considerations.

I considered the Win mag but I already have a 30-06 and a Win mag, and I want something a little different but not impossible to find.

33 Nosler has the shoulder pushed back from the 28 and isn't enough over the 338 Win mag for me to consider, 338 lapua is too common even though it's a great round I want something a little different, does the 340 wby have a lot of freebore? I'd rather load to the lands if possible and Weatherby stuff loses a lot of velocity doing that.
I'll add 338 rum to the list but I've never seen 338 rum brass in any store so it could get iffy to find.

IMO, the 300 Norma
Would also consider the 338 Norma, but I would be looking at using the 245 Berger coming out, which the 300 Norma would be best, followed by the 30nosler. This is a lot of personal opinion, all are good

33 Nosler has the shoulder pushed back from the 28 and isn't enough over the 338 Win mag for me to consider, 338 lapua is too common even though it's a great round I want something a little different, does the 340 wby have a lot of freebore? I'd rather load to the lands if possible and Weatherby stuff loses a lot of velocity doing that.
I'll add 338 rum to the list but I've never seen 338 rum brass in any store so it could get iffy to find.
Atlas makes brass for the .338rum, but ya, buying a dying cartridge is a little scary.

I own MOA rifles in 28 Nosler, 300 & 338 RUM and a 338 Lapua all shooting heavy Berger bullets and all have worked well on Elk! Ive never been much of a 7mm
fan until owning my first 28.....now I have 3. The 28 has worked exceptional on elk size animals. Easy to load match quality ammo for and brass is equally expensive for all of them. If recoil is an issue the 28 wins out! The 4 calibers I shoot are very capable of taking elk at 1000yds. The 30 and 338 r a little big IMHO for deer! The 338's are a little recoil heavy for those sensitive to recoil. One rifle for both I vote for the 28 if you hand load and shoot 195's in long throat gun! the 300 and 338's need long magazine boxes to take advantage of the bullets from Berger and get maximum out of them! My next build will be 338 Lapua Ack Imp when the 330gr Bergers are available. The 300 RUM with long throat and 9" twist will be a great combo for
the new 245gr.
I'm waiting the arrival of a 27 (28 Nosler necked to 277) to shoot the Berger 170gr
It will be what replaces my current 2 favorite deer and antelope rifles (6.5x284 and
25-06AI). I spend much of the fall hunting elk and success this year has been excellent. The 28 has slammed dunked 2 at ranges over 750 and a problem horse that was terrorizing the valley (at 814). the 300 RUM took an elk at 400+ in 30 mph gusty wind with 2 hits 3" apart and it was only animal that required 2 shots this year.
My vote is the 28 then when funds and when no alimony has to be paid apply that to the other calibers, 338 first!

"Why is divorce so expensive?......because its worth every penny!
Same with accurate fine rifles!
Happy Valentines Day
DOC

It's not that I'm recoil sensitive because I'm not, but it's a definite plus for recoiling less as the rifle will NOT have a brake and will not weigh a whole lot, it's better to have less recoil if you don't need to have more to get the job done. A lot of people say "oh just put a brake on it and don't worry about recoil" but I prefer suppressed to save my ears (I'm a musician)
If the extra oomph of the rum is worth it, I'd have no issues shooting it, or a 338 Norma, etc.
What I am asking is, "Is the rums extra foot pounds worth it?" considering brass availability and longer actions and extended magazine boxes and any other positives or negatives.

Last edited:
.28 Nosler with 195 Elite Hunters.

28" Proof CF 1:8 twist .28 Nosler barrel will be what's going on my next build. When I get more money, I'm going to rebuild one of my custom 7mm STW's, and since the action was originally a 7RUM, no extra modifications are necessary. The action's already been blueprinted, so all that's needed is a new tube that's been chambered and headspaced. Probably gonna stick it in a new stock (thinking Manners or Stocky's CF Long Range stock).

Last edited:
Is a .338rum worth it? Good question.
I like having the horsepower, but if you hunt were the opportunity for better shots are plentiful, you probably don't need as lethal of a gun. Everything is a compromise.

You can build a nimble .338 but you can't hide from the noise/recoil as you mention.

Last edited:
It's not that I'm recoil sensitive because I'm not, but it's a definite plus for recoiling less as the rifle will NOT have a brake and will not weigh a whole lot, it's better to have less recoil if you don't need to have more to get the job done. A lot of people say "oh just put a brake on it and don't worry about recoil" but I prefer suppressed to save my ears (I'm a musician)
If the extra oomph of the rum is worth it, I'd have no issues shooting it, or a 338 Norma, etc.
What I am asking is, "Is the rums extra foot pounds worth it?" considering brass availability and longer actions and extended magazine boxes and any other positives or negatives.

Get a rifle with a brake. Twist it off and install a suppressor when needed, Viola
Best of both worlds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.