826 mule deer and 850 elk, CO.

Yeah, I just didn't like what I saw with that Berger, I'll admit that. Jim's buck WAS a big bodied bastard, probaby 230-250 dressed weight, but I personally would be awefully careful about where that bullet hit an elk. We got very little meat off the front shoulders as that bullet chewed em up pretty good. I just don't think it offers the flexability of a bullet that has more penetration capability such as a quartering to you shot.

I don't know what the Accubond would have done differently, I'd like to think it would hold up better, but I have no way of knowing, only hoping I suppose.

On my elk, the 200gr Accubond didn't have much resistance at all, and still had about a 1" or better exit hole and a bit bigger through both lungs. Damage was about what I would have expected and obviously since it was 9" or so behind the shoulder we didn't loose a scrap of meat. I am very curious about the perfomance of that bullet through bone and will stick with that one at this point. With a BC in the high .5's, at over 3200fps, the trajectory and wind drifts with it are more than acceptable to me.

+1 as above

+2 on the pics.

My mule deer was shot with the 168 berger with my MOA in 7 Sundance (376 Steyr)
It sounds like the hit you had but I didn't loose the whole shoulder.
It was only a 562 yd shot, slightly uphill with his nose right behind a doe. He went 10 yds at most.
If I get a deer license here in WI I will be using the Savage.
I finally got a bobcat tag and sure would like to fill it, it took 5 years.

R1-17A.jpg

R1-12A.jpg

hey guys theres the pics!
better late than never:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the process of getting a 7mm Dakota up and shooting for this year...I'm not sure which bullet go with but I have 160gr Accubonds loaded up right now, and I'm thinking if velocity and accuracy are there, that's what I'll stick with for now, although I might scam a few Bergers off Jim and try them out.:)

Jim and I tied a limb in the antlers with the front legs and drug that SOB down to the road about 3/4 mile away.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of getting a 7mm Dakota up and shooting for this year...I'm not sure which bullet go with but I have 160gr Accubonds loaded up right now, and I'm thinking if velocity and accuracy are there, that's what I'll stick with for now, although I might scam a few Bergers off Jim and try them out.:)

I picked up an 8 twist 7mm barrel with hopes of running 180 bergers with a dakota too, but I had a surgery and am not spending any money till I'm back to work. And the dakota die and brass cost has me looking at alternatives.

Honestly that 7 rum gave me some fits. Shot well enough but after sitting most of last winter this past summers shooting of it was a little eratic with the loads from 6 months earlier producing more velocity and pressure. I did some more load work and the thing just wasn't acting like it should so I pulled the barrel after 400 rounds.

Honestly I'm done with hot-rod 7mm, that rifle is now a very nice edge that is shooting great. My next 7 will be a saum in a nice 9lb packing rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.