270 wsm

southernboy008

I have a browning a-bolt in 270 wsm and was wanting some opinions on whether this is a good all around caliber or can it be used long range with handloads and if so what are some handloads someone has experimented with, i am new to all this and should i look into getting a barrel? muzzlebrake? any advice would help greatly

I have a Winchester Mod 70 in 270WSM, I personally like the feel of the Browning better. Just fits my hand better. But not enough difference for me to give my gun away and pay for a new one.

the 270 WSM is great caliber. I have found it very accurate, not to punishing in the recoil, easy to reload for, adequet for deer, elk or moose. I personally use the 140grain Barnes TSX as my bullet of choice in the 270 WSM. I push this with a stout load of MagPro. ( at max by some manuals, under max by some others).

I don't think this is the right caliber to shoot Elk at 900 yards with. But it will do the job at 300-400 yards no problem. And much farther for Antelope or Deer sized game.

You loose enough in velocity trying to push the 150g bullets that you really don't gain much in energy over the 140g bullets. The 130g bullets are not that much faster than the 140g, So they have no advantage as a flat shooting bullet and lack the down range energy. I think the 140g is really the ideal big game bullet in this caliber.

Any of the 270 caliber bullet will not maintain the long range energy that a 180g out of a 300 mag carries. So if you are hunting large animals at extended ranges, the 30 cal magnums are probably a better choice. To punch paper or light skinned game, the 270 WSM will work just as well.

Any of the 270 caliber bullet will not maintain the long range energy that a 180g out of a 300 mag carries. So if you are hunting large animals at extended ranges, the 30 cal magnums are probably a better choice. To punch paper or light skinned game, the 270 WSM will work just as well.

I agree with every thing you said except the above.

Ya just gotta get the proper 270 bullet and a bit larger case.:)

have either of you experimented with the berger 140 vld? my father shoots 300 rum with 155 berger vlds and retumbo powder and it drives tacks and is the flattest shooting gun i have ever seen, i have just always heard that berger bullets held energy and were more accurate downrange?

I have not used the Bergers. I did try, Nosler BST and Partitions, Hornady SST, Barnes XBT and TSX, and Kodiak Bonded. I tried the following powders MagPro, RL-19, Retumbo, IMR 4350 and 4381, Ramshot Hunter. In the 140g MagPro is the best. In the 130g I'd probably go with RL-19

My 15 year old niece killed a deer this year with a 270 wsm at 570 yards with 150gr SST. Clean pass through, hitting ribs in and out. 4 inch exit wound. DRT. I wouldn't hesitate to go out to 800 yards on a deer with this gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.