270 wsm

alldayhunter

I as wondering what this caliber would be like for a longer range gun. I found a savage model 12 with the cheap stock for 400 new. I know i could put a new stock on it and eventually rebarrel it but what range would the 270 WSM be good to on say antelope and deer. With that price i could afford good glass and a new stock right away but would have to shoot it for a while before rebarreling. I just dont want to be stuck with a caliber that does me no good. THanks

allday,
I own one in the W70 Coyote and it shoots pretty good. I have only shot reloads in it and it hovers just under 1/2" with loads it likes. It is a true short magnum and outperforms the .270 Winchester, which is a great LR cartridge in and of itself.
There are now some good bullets for this caliber. Berger makes some VLD's and Nosler makes the AccuBond and Ballistic Tips. Barnes makes the TripleShocks and Swift makes the Scirocco II for this caliber. All would be good bullets. This dog has got some fight! I shot the .270Win for a few years so I know how it performs. The 270 shortmag has more energy and velocity., but not as much as the .270 Weatherby.
This is personal opinion, but with a 26-28" barrel, 140gn handloads tuned to the rifle and bullets pushing max velocity, this cartridge is right there in the 7Mag class.
I haven't taken any game with mine yet, but it's coming. I have a new .300WinMag, .270WSM and .243Win that all need to get "blood" this year! JohnnyK.

I have two of them. I use 150 grain sst's reloads and 150 grain remington accutips factory loads. The one I use for hunting was used this year to mule kill deer at 200, 300, and 570. All in the vitals. One went 20 yards (the 300 yard shot), the other two dropped dead. All pass throughs, even the 570. Lots of damage. At my elevation, there's still 1000+ ft/lbs left at 1000 yards. I use a bushnell yardage pro rangefinding scope. It ranges out to 750 consistantly. That's my practical limit for shooting mule deer with this gun. If I wanted to got farther than that, I'd look at another caliber like a 7mm RUM, 300 RUM, 7mm Allen Mag, 338 AX, 338 edge, etc.

Well i decided it was time to bite the bullet and bought the savage 12FVSS in 270WSM. I am thinking i would order a stockade stock to replace the factoryone. Would this be my best option or would there be a better one.

Congrats on the purchase I believe you will love it. I am getting 3506 fps average with MagPro, and 130 Barnes TSX from a 26" tube (stock rifle). If I do my part it will shoot bug holes and absolutely smashes critters. I also recently purchased an "Elk Hunter" stock from Stockade for my 7mm-08 and I love the feel and fit. I will definately reorder when I have another action to build on. Rayhill is a top notch guy and he knows his Savage rifles, the only downside is the 16 week wait, but it is definately worth it.

Just adding my $.02 for the 270 WSM. I bought a win coyote with plans of just putting a custom 6.5 WSM barrel on it. I decided to try a couple loads just out of curiosity... mistake, I now shoot it more than my other customs. I have shot 3 elk and 5 deer with great results. I am shooting the 150 BT and the longest shot was just over 500 on a cow elk and the exit was about 2" solid rib hit in and out. I have never tried to force longer range shots with it but wouldn't hesitate out to 700. It's probably good for more but I would move up in bullet weight if the option was there.

I am getting 3506 fps average with MagPro, and 130 Barnes TSX from a 26" tube (stock rifle).

Please tell more. How many grains? Are you maxed out? Have you tried Magpro with anything larger like 150gr Bergers?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts