270 WSM vlds

Tarheelpwr

So, I was hoping to try the 165 matrix, but Marshall suggested it probably would not work where I am.

So, Berger it is. I'll be shooting a factory Savage 270 WSM with some minor upgrades. My question is, 130 or 150 Berger? I have always leaned toward heavier, but with the new BC (.497 vs .531) on the 130's, it seems to match the 150. At 1K, the 130 has virtually the same FPE, same drift, and less drop. Seems to me like a no brainer? Am I missing something? The slightly less recoil would be welcome since I'm trying to make this a light rig.

This will be a lightweight sheep/deer sized game gun/load when I'm not near anything that bites back. I may take it on an aoudad hunt as well.

So, what are everyone's thoughts? Which and why?

Savage used both the 1-11 twist rate and the 1-10, whatcha got!!

I know I saw some posts from you running the 140's in a LW rig. Was that before the new 130's with higher BC were out? Just wanting to get into your head as I'm just getting the LR hunting bug.

It seems the new 130 with higher BC trumps both for deer/sheep sized game. I'd opt for the 150 if I was going after bigger game.

Just looking for some input, and you see to be one of the most experienced with the the 270 WSM from what I've seen on searches.

Seems like there were some inconsistencies with the original 130's, but I would assume (possibly incorrectly) that the new classic with improved BC would have addressed some of the earlier issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.