270 wsm on coues deer

I was looking at the Federal 140 gr Accubond or the Federal 130 gr TSX, most likely the range will be 200 yrds to 400 yrds. But federal also has the partition, ballistic tip, and the soft point in 130 gr. Do you have any recommendations? I have never used the Accubond or the TSX and did not know if it was to much bullet since coues deer only weigh about 100 lbs. Thank you.

Thats a good cartrige, use the accubond. thoughs littel bugger are hard to get close to. I shot a 94 3/8 last year
swift scirocco.

I'll have to throw another vote for the ballistic tip. I know from experience that you need a more explosive bullet when hunting smaller game (less than elk) with the 270 wsm. The partitions blow right through antelope without ever expanding or transferring much energy.

Be ready for some extreme energy displacement if you go with the b-tip.
I've shot 3 coues with 130's from a 270 WSM and lost no meat on one, one quarter on the second and three quarters on the third! Was the spotter for another (same caliber) and it turned the on side quarter inside out. They tear stuff up!
Farthest of all shots was 247, so the speed was still way up.
The up side is the farthest any of 'em went was 150 yards.
The b-tips work, but expect some meat loss if not put in the ribs.

Have shot several WT deer with the 270wsm using both the BT and the AB.(south/east deer). I prefer the AB performance over the BT. All the deer I have shot with the AB were passthrus with normal entry and 1 1/2- 21/2 exit wound. May have to track an extra 20yrds, but it won't be no trouble following the trail.

I have killed several coues deer with a .270 wsm and 140 Accubonds. Couldnt be happier. I have seen a Coues fall to a 270 wsm and 130 TSX and it was devastating! (of course, he hit him in the neck at 354 yards)

octoberhunt005.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.