Opinions on 270 WSM?

777funk

I'm looking into one (Savage 16 Stainless - pre accu) and curious what the opinions on this caliber are?

I was wanting a 308 just because of how common it is (easy to get brass). But before I rule out the 270 WSM being offered, I figured I'd ask for some opinions.

My opinion is, it the best flat shooter in Non magnum range!!!
No sure about your Rifle choice but it Great Caliber.gun)

I own a win mod 70 in 270 wsm and i love it the barrel is gone south, I have a 1 in 9 Brux 27 inch #5 that I got just for the matrix 165 and 175 vlds. Awesome combo for long range deer and elk out of the wsm IMO.

You can't go wrong with a 308. Most everybody I know that shoots the 270 wsm haven't had much gain over 270. That being said a lot of guys are building 300 wsm as there do all guns. I have seen more 300 wsm brass than 270 wsm last 8 months hands down. I even sold my 7wsm do to waiting for brass, took the 308 to wyoming and two animals down DRT. I have only had to hunt about a week at a time to find quality 308 brass out there. Just my opinion.....

The .270 WSM smokes the .308 win's ballistics by a fair margin. If you want a hunting rifle buy a 270 WSM. If you want a target rifle, buy a .308 win.

You cant even shoot heavy for caliber bullets out of a .308 at decent speeds.

I've worn out several 270 WSM barrels and really like the round, you can load light 110 TTSX in the 3550-3600fps range and it smokes coyotes and light game like antelope and deer. Long range work with the 165 Matrix or whackn elk, I've taken elk out in the 900 yard range with them very easily! All mine have ran 200 fps over what the 270 Win I load for do. It's really in a different league than the 308 so you may consider that it may be a bit more than you want.

On the particular rifle choice, the early Savage barrels could be 1-11 twist which may limit you to 140 gr bullet maybe 150's but it's just something watch on that particular rifle.

I like the round and would consider another rifle in that cal if it came my way. I owned a Win70 Coyote a few years back and though the barrel was 24", I like the velocity it offered over the grand ole .270Win.
I've contemplated getting another barrel for my Savage 112 BVSS and the two calibers that are coming up are the .270WSM and the 7mmRemMag. I have owned both and one will do what the other does. Six of one, half-dozen of anther, as they say. Looking at the Nosler #6, the .270WSM comes up about about 60fps behind the 7Mag when both are loaded with 150gn BTips and both have 24" barrels. That's not a big difference. Before anyone mentions it, I don't care that the 7mm has a better bullet selection. I usually find a bullet/load the rifle likes and predominantly stick with that one. All this to get you thinking "7Mag perrformance".
Compared to the .308Win? No comparison. The WSM out shines the .308 in ballistics. .308 brass is probably easier to find but 100 pieces of brass will last a while if proper care is taken of it. Go with the short mag and don't look back. MO! JohnnyK.

Watched my hunting partner put down an antelope at a measured 456 yds. (Leica rangefinder) with his Kimber 270 WSM. Accurate and flat shooting. The .308 pales by comparison.

777funk, this is exactly what I expected you would get for responses. This is a site for LR guys and over bore and speed are the name of the game. I rarely see any one bag on a caliber or cartridge choice. The bagging might be related to brand choice or choice of caliber/cartridge for given application, but not for accuracy.

Good luck and happy shooting.

im not a fan of .270 anything but lots are guess different strokes for different folks. rather go the 6.5 or 7mm route

I own a Tikka T3 lite stainless in a 270 WSM and love it. One thing to consider also, is recoil. The 270 avergaes around 20 ft/lbs with 150 grain bullets, whereas the 308 is around 15 ft/lbs. This may not matter if it is going to be an exclusive hunting rifle, but if you plan on spending some time at the range it's definately something to consider.

If you could only have one rifle, this is one of the three or four chamberings I'd recommend.

My son's does 3300 fps with 130gr. Very accurate, great, I mean very great round for 48 states hunting. For tougher game the 150gr will do well.

Nice to have point blank to 300 yards.

I'm looking into one (Savage 16 Stainless - pre accu) and curious what the opinions on this caliber are?

I was wanting a 308 just because of how common it is (easy to get brass). But before I rule out the 270 WSM being offered, I figured I'd ask for some opinions.

I was dead set on a 270 WSM build a few years ago and contacted Kirby about it but ultimately decided to push the pause button for awhile and utilize the rifles I have and really take some more time to chew on it.

Instead I went with another 7RM, a 6.5-284, another 270 Winchester, and a 280 Remington. I'm getting 3050+ fps with a 150 VLD from my 270 using 57.0 gr H4831SC seated to a COAL at 3.28, which is .010 off the lands. For me, there's nothing to gain from a 270 WSM even if I had a 26+ inch barrel for the bulk of the hunting I do. Just got to know my trajectory and let those 150s fly out of my 24" Krieger barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.