270 Win, which bullet weight?

Your real dilemma is this ammo thingy for hunting gets w-a-a-a-a-y over thunked..... For your gkids, go buy a box of factory hunting ammo and go have fun with them at the range and in a tree stand. If it goes bang and drops a whitetail at 50yds, and you are with them, they will be walkin' in tall cotton, grinnin' ear to ear. They aren't gonna be dropping P&Ys or B&Cs at 1000yds for a few years...1-2MOA is SWEET for your needs.. RE; SH; LMAO
I appreciate your advice, they've already taken deer at over 400 yards, just not with this rifle. In the Southwest, there isn't too many tree stands or 50 yard shots. It's hours of glassing and usually shooting across canyons. Thanks!

I appreciate your advice, they've already taken deer at over 400 yards, just not with this rifle. In the Southwest, there isn't too many tree stands or 50 yard shots. It's hours of glassing and usually shooting across canyons. Thanks!
I'll be out there chasing them this year for the first time in 11 years. Looking forward to it! Can't wait to fight through the catclaw in 24B!

I'll be out there chasing them this year for the first time in 11 years. Looking forward to it! Can't wait to fight through the catclaw in 24B!
24B is a good unit, pretty rugged, has some great bucks. I've got 15 points, waiting for my Strip tag. The kids have a 34 junior hunt, so that's where we will be. It's been an above average monsoon season, good water and antler growth. Good luck to you.

Ah, the Chiricahuas. Did a backpack only hunt down there one year. Not that we had to, but my father was still rubbing his Ranger tab at the time, and I was too young to have a say in it, lol. That was a tough dry year, and we had the early hunt, sometime in the early 80s, so game was sparce.

Good luck to your grandkids, and especially to you in waiting for that ever-elusive strip tag! I finally just gave up trying years ago.

So here's my dilemma, I've got my father's Remington Model 721, chambered in .270 Win, built in 1952. I don't need it for hunting, as I have three other rifles in good calibers that fit all of my hunting needs. I just would like my grandkids to be able to hunt with their great-grandfather's rifle. It's in great shape.

I have worked up a load with Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets that group about .700, so that's decent for anything that my family would use it for. I'm thinking about trying a different bullet. I like the ELD-X bullet for a good all around performing bullet on medium sized game, but it only comes in 145 grain in the .277 line.

Should I load the 145 ELDX, get the good performance and give up some speed and flatness, or drop down to 130 grain, get the speed back up, maybe with a Berger Classic Hunter? Or just stay with the 140 grain BT? Thoughts?
I use a Nosler 140gr accubond in my son's 270 Winchester with great success, you might try that.

Ah, the Chiricahuas. Did a backpack only hunt down there one year. Not that we had to, but my father was still rubbing his Ranger tab at the time, and I was too young to have a say in it, lol. That was a tough dry year, and we had the early hunt, sometime in the early 80s, so game was sparce.

Good luck to your grandkids, and especially to you in waiting for that ever-elusive strip tag! I finally just gave up trying years ago.
As a resident, I'm only two years away for 100%, but point creep keeps moving the goal posts. I may be out there on an all-terrain little rascal!

So here's my dilemma, I've got my father's Remington Model 721, chambered in .270 Win, built in 1952. I don't need it for hunting, as I have three other rifles in good calibers that fit all of my hunting needs. I just would like my grandkids to be able to hunt with their great-grandfather's rifle. It's in great shape.

I have worked up a load with Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets that group about .700, so that's decent for anything that my family would use it for. I'm thinking about trying a different bullet. I like the ELD-X bullet for a good all around performing bullet on medium sized game, but it only comes in 145 grain in the .277 line.

Should I load the 145 ELDX, get the good performance and give up some speed and flatness, or drop down to 130 grain, get the speed back up, maybe with a Berger Classic Hunter? Or just stay with the 140 grain BT? Thoughts?
The Ballistic Tips will do whatever you need on deer size game and smaller. Play with other bullets if you want but keep a supply of the loaded BT ammo to fall back on. So far, performance of the 143gr ELD-X in my 6.5 hasn't impressed me.

Personally I wouldn't overthink this. I have been a .270 Winchester shooter for most of my 67 years. For years I have killed 95 percent of my big game animals from moose to pronghorn with this caliber loaded exclusively with 130 grain bullets, primarily Sierras and Hornady. Later in life I switched to Barnes for elk and was exceptionally please with their performance. That said I never had a bullet failure or lost animal from using the Sierras and Hornady. My father-in-law who has many more kills than I, used Hornady and Sierra 130s never could understand why I would pay for a"premium" bullet based off his vast experience. He did switch to 140s when they came out just because he thought they were a good compromise and wanted to give them a try. Just my 2 cents worth as a lifetime user and fan.

The only bullit to shoot out of that rifle is 130 gr. If your not hunting in ca. I should shoot nosler partition 130. I have one I've been shooting all my life. I've killed black bear bull Elk I can't count the deer I've killed all with 130 gr. The only bullit you will ever need.

Ahhh now you tell us. Well they have some experience then. What caliber were they shooting at 400 yards?

Try the Interbond in your weight range (if you can find them). Or the 140gr Accubond is also a good choice.

I have had real good luck with nosler partitions, 150 grain. Accubonds might work. But, I am guessing you will get better accuracy with a flat base bullet.
My 721 likes 130 to 150 anything just fine, for hunting out to maybe 200 or so. But, mine has peep site.
Enjoy.

My old 721 in .270 has a long throat and likes 150 grainers better than 130 grainers. My old standby load is the 150 grain Hornady Interlock with IMR 4350 powder. I shot 10 rounds that averaged 2983 FPS with an extreme spread of 9 FPS. I don't shoulder shoot, and have not lost a lot of meat, but all DRT shots on deer and antelope.

I have been down that road with my Dad's Rem. 722. First thing Check the firing pin spring. In this 722 the crater from the firing pin strike in the primer was backing up and some shells the crater blew back into the bolt and smoke and fire came out of the action. In the few shots I shot 2" groups at 100 yds. was the best it would do. Chronograph was going crazy. A gunsmith friend and I Replaced the firing pin spring, This rifle went back shooting 3/4" at 100yds. like it did in 1960. With its Weaver K4.

The 721 and 722 rifles was discontinued in about 1963-4, When the Rem. 700 replaced them. In that era 130-150 gr. were the go too bullet.