270 Win vs 6.5 PRC

The 270 has been a popular cartridge for many years but underestimated by groups of hunters. We bumped up to the 270 WSM for Jill, when the WSMs came out, shooting 130 &140 Accubonds. They slam anything down. Maybe a little old school with shooting Accubonds when the newer Hammers have come out.

Here's some 0-600 yard ballistics to compare the two. I chose the 140gr Berger Classic Hunter for the .270 Winchester. It's the highest BC hunting bullet that will work in a 1-10 twist. I set 3050 as the muzzle velocity. For the 6.5 PRC I chose the 156gr Berger EOL at 2900fps. Both loads can be driven harder but this is a middle of the road average for both. On paper both are very close in bullet drop and velocity out to 600. The PRC has less wind drift and more energy on target. Again both are good cartridges, the PRC is just better at longer ranges.

.270 Winchester
View attachment 307443

6.5 PRC
View attachment 307444
The gain goes to prc, but drop and drift is close enough for a good kill. Do you have any 150 numbers? It would be interesting! I know this inquiring mind wants too know.

I recently had to make the same decision and I choose the 270 Win. Ballistics are so close, a game animal won't know the difference.

At the time, I mainly chose the 270 because of ammo availability and I already had the dies to reload, as both my sons were raised on 270's and big game hunting.

Every time I get the itch for a 6.5 PRC, I check out the ballistics against the 270 I already own and it cools my jets. The only exception is... I don't have a ELD gun for shooting beyond 1k and the 6.5 PRC is probably what I would choose.

Still, my Ruger American in 270 Win will stay with me for ever.

"IF" the topic is Deer Hunting, then my Weatherby Ultralight, with a Leupold 2.5 X to 8 X scope. on Leupold Rings and Bases. chambered in .270 Win , is my Drop Dead #1 Whitetail Deer Rifle ! If the topic Changes to LR shooting at steel targets, at 1200 yards ; or at Black Bear in Maine , or Alaska Moose , or at Western Elk at 1000 yards , then I will select a different rifle , with a different scope , chambered in a caliber I think is better suited for the Game , and the Range at which it will be taken . Nothing against the 6.5 Creed or PRC or any other excellent rounds out there , its just some times you hit on a combination of Rifle ; Scope ; Caliber; and Bullet that just does exactly what "YOU" expect it to do, and you become Comfortable and Happy, and allows you to shoot with a relaxed confidence. Perhaps for you, the 6.5 PRC is the perfect round. Good Luck Buddy !!

Can you load a long VLD (hunting or otherwise) bullet in a 6.5 PRC that will feed from the magazine in a short action?
Yes, look into the seekins Havok PH2,

Attachments

• 20220128_111107.jpg
    20220128_111107.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 58
Howdy friends and neighbors. I am a deer hunter looking to add another Tikka T3x to the stable. I also am a reloader. I am looking at either a .270 win or a 6.5 PRC to hunt over ag fields out to 600 yards. I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm STW and .30 06 but I like guns.

The .270 WIN Tikka T3x can be had pretty cheap right now. The 6.5 PRC is a little pricey.

What would you choose as a deer round from 0-600 yards?
The 6.5PRC is what the Needmore should have been. If I wanted a 3000fps 6.5 in a factory round it's the way I'd go.

The .270 will certainly still get the job done but the future belongs to the 6.5's, 7mm's, and .30 cal's.

Probably need at least the medium action to be safe.

I don't get the love affair with short actions myself and would just a soon build everything on the same long magnum action.
I am not sure that I get it either. Most of the time the difference in action/rifle length is 3/4". I have several of both but it doesn't matter much to me.