270 win vs 270wsm

I do check for all signs of pressure and have been reloading for 27 years. And never had a accident or blew up a firearm. I live in wisconsin rapids and will be shooting 600yrd benchrest in wausau on the 22nd. I would be glad to shoot it in front of you. Through my chrono or yours. Otherwise I'll be shooting Saturday and Sunday at the wood county gun range. This weekend! I get 7to 8 reloads with winchester nickle cases , after that the necks split. Your saying some of the things that guys said at the range till they seen no sticky bolt and a 3shot group that measured 0.258,,,, I learned a long time ago that if you lie it will get you nowhere, but more lies to cover a lie... my friend tod will be shooting and hes bringing his chrono to, so I can check both but I know what it will be. I will quote 2 guys that seen me shoot last week( dude that is smoking fast). You sure your not over psi?

So you could be right about the pressure, but I don't see any signs of high pressure. If I would go up more I proly would see sticky bolts crater primers, ect. If I get 7-8 reloads the psi can't be that bad.

I can see 3500 fps with a molly 130, a 26in barrel I have runs the 140's at 3400 at the top with naked bullets, accuracy is at 3300-3350 with it and 20+ firings on the brass.
My 27.5 inch barrel is throated and it STARTS showing pressure with the 150's at 3300 fps and shooting them easy at 3250 fps, never loaded anything lighter in it though.
The issue with the 270 WSM is that early in it's life if it's SAMMI spec you'll get pressure spikes and it will show pressure early at odd times, once your throat mellows out you can get more performance, if you throat it you get significantly more performance.

I'm getting 3215 with 150 bergers moly coated, these are the only 150grainers I have shot outa my gun. I'm at 72.5 gr magpro and with this load it shows no signs of pressure, even the recoil is not to bad. I know the gook says 70gr magpro, but with moly you have to go over a grain or 2. To achieve velocity. I could go up more but I might be compressing the charge then. When temps are up around 75 deg I get 3305 fps, with the same loading.

I am a big fan of all of the WSM cartridges. I even built a fun little 338-300wsm as a light weight elk rifle, and it's overall performance outfitted just over 7#s, including optics, is simply amazing. To the OP, it sure looks like you've got one heck of a sweet 270 short mag. Buddy of mine shot his first Rocky Mountain Bull Elk with a 270 wsm. Very heavy 5x5 at 330 yards, one shot hammer.

Somebody else mentioned a 270/26 Nosler... now that would be a fun project.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.