270 Ultra Mag Load Help

Not sure about the Matrix bullet. I have a couple hundred of the 170gn Bergers and about a hundred of the 169.5gn Wildcat ULD RBBT. Both superb, LR bullets.
I started my LR endeavor years ago with a .270 Win. Back before range finders and tall turret scopes were so prevalent. I did a lot of walking and measuring with a homemade yardage stick (cell phones were in bags still!).
Hey I remember those bag phones! My grandfather was a building mover and he got those huge Motorolas before anybody else I know so he could communicate with people about the job while on the road. Cinder blocks! I'm only in my late 20s but I think I must be the last of my kind, to have gone through high school in its entirety without a phone! How did I ever make it?

Matrix can't export bullets into the US any more, so those are out. I believe Chinchaga has the same problem. Your best bet will be the 170gr Berger.

Things are a little better for the 270s now since it's gotten pretty easy to track down 8" and 9" twist barrels. I actually have a 7" twist barrel on one of my 27 Boondoggles to shoot the 168gr Hammer Hunters. If you end up rebarreling with another 270 you can step up to a better twist.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts