270 Ultra Mag Load Help

Deadeye1

I picked up a 270 Ultra Mag that I'll obviously have to load for. Does anyone have any load data for this cartridge?

What bullet are you trying to use and what twist do you have? I had a 270 RUM for a while and had decent results with US869 and Retumbo with 140 and 150gr bullets. With Retumbo and a 140gr bullet I'd start around 91.0gr and work up. With US869 I'd start at around 99.0gr and work up with a 140gr bullet. I'd only use Fed 215 primers with US869. I've had bad hang fires with heavy charges of US869 and any other magnum primer. The 170gr Berger EOL wasn't out when I had my 270 RUM but it would be a great choice.

I currently have a 270/338 RUM improved wildcat which comes in just under the 270 RUM as far as case capacity and the 140-145gr bullets are in the 3400 fps range from a 28" barrel which is right in line with what I saw in the 270 RUM. The 170gr EOL should be around 3200 fps.

Thanks for the info, that's very useful.

I have some 140 grain Accubonds right now, but I also have a 270 Winchester that I can load these into. I'm open to different bullets, but I'd like to stick around the 140gr.

As for the barrel twist, I'm not sure because I bought it used from a local shop. I did check the headspace, and it is correct. But I don't know much more about this rifle. It is a 26"barrel.

I shoot the 170gn Bergers in my .270 Allen Magnum. It wears a 30", 1-8t, 3g Lilja barrel and I have only used US-869 in this rifle. I run 93-95gn's for 3300-3500fps, respectively, but can be pushed.
There is reloading data for this cartridge here on LRHunting.

Just for kicks you should see how swiftly that monster can evict an 85, 95, or 110 Barnes ttsx bullet (the first two meant for the 6.8 spc, same bore diameter)

I could push 'em over 4k I believe. I easily pushed a few rounds of the 140gn Ballistic Tips to over 3700fps during fire forming before I changed methods and went COW. Very accurate, even at that speed.
What I really would like is a 190-195gn VLD type bullet. I think the Allen Magnum has enough moxie to push something like that over 3k. Dreaming though.

I could push 'em over 4k I believe. I easily pushed a few rounds of the 140gn Ballistic Tips to over 3700fps during fire forming before I changed methods and went COW. Very accurate, even at that speed.
What I really would like is a 190-195gn VLD type bullet. I think the Allen Magnum has enough moxie to push something like that over 3k. Dreaming though.
Hot diggity that sounds fun! I have to ask though, if that's your desired bullet weight why not the standard 7mm rum?

Well, I got this rifle on a trade so I didn't really have a say in the original build with Kirby. The shooting buddy I got it from liked .270 caliber at the time and while I'm thinking back over this evolution (15-20 years ago), I believe this donor rifle originally was a 7Rum.

Does matrix still make the 175 vld in 277? That and the berger 170 eol would be the top dogs for now (there is also a 180 woodleigh but that's not a high bc bullet - though in this cartridge it ought to be an absolute monster - and with a bc of .5 it's still way better than throwing rocks...now I'm thinking if I were authorized to spend your time and money I'd see what those woodleighs do!). It sucks that the .27 cal is so limited by the universally used 1:10 twist. There's something about that bore diameter I just like for no tangible reason (beyond my first and still my primary deer rifle being a cheap savage 270 - love that gun, and took no small smug delight in my college days at how it kicked the pants off of my friends' much nicer and more expensive and less accurate tikka t3, rem 700, and browning a-bolt...got a smile on my face right now thinking about it)

Well, I got this rifle on a trade so I didn't really have a say in the original build with Kirby. The shooting buddy I got it from liked .270 caliber at the time and while I'm thinking back over this evolution (15-20 years ago), I believe this donor rifle originally was a 7Rum.
Well that makes good sense then. Plus it's always satisfying to own something unique and to experiment with the unknown, do something no one else you know is really doing. Someday when I'm older I'd love to own a wildcat chambering just for the fun of it. All kinds of thoughts on that already, the two that consistently come to mind as projects I'd love to undertake one day are the 6mm-06 improved and the .30-338 lapua improved. A .22-284 sounds tantalizing as well. Or the 6mm incinerator (7mm rem mag case)

Not sure about the Matrix bullet. I have a couple hundred of the 170gn Bergers and about a hundred of the 169.5gn Wildcat ULD RBBT. Both superb, LR bullets.
I started my LR endeavor years ago with a .270 Win. Back before range finders and tall turret scopes were so prevalent. I did a lot of walking and measuring with a homemade yardage stick (cell phones were in bags still!).

Wildcats are exhilarating and a labor of love. I want a 6.5-06 AI, .243AI and .22-250AI (all at least 1-8t) before I get tooo old.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.