.270 loads

Every rifle is different, but I've shot a lot of the 60 grain H-4831 behind 130 grain Partitions and Seirra. A clssic load. My current load in my 270 is 63 grains of H-1000 behind the 140 grain TSX bullet

jwp how fast is that load with 1000 powder going/ Also how fast was yor 60 gr loads going using h4831? Thanks for the input

I do not remember the velocity of the H-4831 loads as that was a while ago. The 63 grain load of H-1000 gets 3140 FPS with the 140 TSX bullet. I am shooting that load out of a 29" barrel

im looking to load up some 130 grain nosler ballistic tip for my 270 .it has a 22" walther match barrel .

any ideas .powder ,primers etc .its years ago now that i loaded

im looking to load up some 130 grain nosler ballistic tip for my 270 .it has a 22" walther match barrel .

Try some RL-17, the burn rate is similar to the 4350's and it generally yields better velocity. I run it with 140 gr SST's out of a 22" tube at 3050 fps.

Hi has anyone here tried the berger 150's,curious to get some feedback on velocities and loads being used,BC is listed at .531.

WinM70270.jpg

I have been shooting 130 gr Nosler Ballistic tips from my 270 with a 22" Pac Nor ultra light barrel.
I use 50 gr IMR4895.
The muzzle velocity is 2900 fps.

That may not sound fast, but I have shot (8) mule deer all between 329 and 510 yards, and half run 50 feet and fall down and half were bang-flop.

Hi has anyone here tried the berger 150's,curious to get some feedback on velocities and loads being used,BC is listed at .531.

Yes, I had been shooting the Berger 140's and thought I'd try the 150's.

Out of my old sporter 270 they shoot 2733-2743 with 55.0 H4831

I get 2830 ish from 58G H4831 with the 140's and 2905 with 59G

Groups apear about the same for this ol girl- .4-.7s

On a footnote: 58G with 140 accubond did 2950 and what really peaves me is the Factory Hornady Lightmags 130's do 3250!!! ***
But, the accuracy of the bergers is on par or better than matchkings for me. Go figure.

I have used H4831 shortcut almost exclusively in my 700 Mtn in .270. I usually use Hornady Interlock SP's. 130 grn bullets get around 3100 fps with 60.0 grns and 150 grainers get about 2900 fps with 58.0 grns of powder. These two loads somehow shoot to the same point of impact at point blank ranges. Standard and short cut both gave the same results. Both shoot well under an inch, on average about .7" with many at 1/2" at 100 yds. And that's in a late-80's tupperware stock. After reading about RL22 and H1000 here I'll have to give them a try.

Clark,

Do you have a load for a 110gr BTHP using IRM4895 for the 270? I have a box of 110 bullets for my 270 I would like to load up using my 4895 powder.

Thanks

I have found this freek load in my .270Win with 26" barrel. I loaded the 150gr Hornady Interbonds with a slow burning powder to shoot at a velocity of +-2940fps. When loading the 110gr Nosler Accubonds I had used a faster burning powder to produce a velocity of +-3300fps. My suprise was that it grouped at exactly the same impact point at 100meter. Now I have a good bush load for Kudu and without changing settings on my scope I have a good Karoo flat's load for Springbuck. No more adjustment when changing bullets! I have further tried to get the 130gr bullets grouping in the same area as the bullets above, but that did not work - the grouping of the 130 bullets were constantly impacted +-3" below the bullets above.

I just got some Berger vlds in 150 grains. I plan to shoot them with 4831sc. Has anyone tried these bullets before? My gun has a 23 inch sporter barrel. Or should I use hybrid 100 v? I have a pound left of that that I never got to try.

Gil

I just got some Berger vlds in 150 grains. I plan to shoot them with 4831sc. Has anyone tried these bullets before? My gun has a 23 inch sporter barrel. Or should I use hybrid 100 v? I have a pound left of that that I never got to try.

Gil

For the lighter bullets you need a faster burning powder, whereas with the heavier bullets the burn rate should be slower. Go to the Hodgdon / IMR Website for load data on various powders:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

The loading manuals are made by people who print the results they got in their rifles, etc. Some use sporting rifles, some use universal receivers but they all have different rigs so the "max" loads you see only reflect those differences. YOUR rig and mine are like none of their's so our MAX may or may not be the same as theirs, this is not chemistry class in which we do "exactly this to get exactly that" results.

I know one guy who got badly blown primer pockets in a still new Win 70/22-250 with Hodgdon book midrange charges of Varget. If he had started at a presumed dummied down max load he would have surely had a bad occurance. Meaning, anyone thinking the book makers fudge the results so we will be safe is wrong! Do what the books say, "start low and only work up if no pressure signs occur" or you may get a viscious surprise.

An old thread but I couldn't help but to comment on this because I see pressure signs in 2 guns, a 243 & 270 with loads well under max...With a 243Win...37 gr Varget behind a 85gr HPBT producing a very accurate load going out at 3040fps. Just what the book says it should be. 38gr is max and I load that with TSX 85gr because that was the most accurate, going out at 3200 fps. I get what Hogdon's manual says in terms of speed but I also get flattened primers in both cases (no pun intended)...no cratering, no sticky bolt. Same with a light load of Varget, 32.0 gr behind the 100gr Hdy Interlock producing only 2675 fps. Flattened primers only. To get more velocity in the 100 grainers I switched to IMR4831, and with that I get velocities higher than book for a given charge. With this I also get flattened primers well below book max but .actually tried a few at 1 gr over max to 43.9 gr giving 3120 fps. Now that seems fast for a 243 and 100 gr bullet and I know there's no free lunch. But still only flattened primers.

In a 270 BAR, I get flattened primers with only 54.0 gr H4350 driving a 130gr TSX at 2900 fps. So when you guys are talking about pushing 130 gr bullets 3100+ I don't know how you get there.

Any ideas of why I get "premature" pressure signs? As you say boomtube, I'm reluctant to go much hotter despite being under max, OR drive them faster than expected (in the case of the 100 gr bullet) even though I'm not seeing much overpressure sign.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.