270 win loads

Sleepy Time

I'm sure this has come up, but I can't get the dang search function to work for me.

Getting my 270 back from the smith in 3 wks and will be working up some loads for it. Anyone have some good loads they want to share?gun)

I use a 130 gr bullet 59 gr H4831sc a Mag cci primmer and win brass. I also like 57 gr RL-19 130 gr bullet and Mag primmer with win brass. For a 140 gr bullet I use 53 gr H4350 and reg. primmer with win brass or 140 gr bullet 57-58 gr H4831sc reg primmer and win brass. With a 150 gr bullet I use 55 -56 gr H4831sc reg. primmer win brass. My gun likes Hornady interlocks, Seirra bt's, Nosler accubonds, and Speer Hot-core. I just bet that if you try a 130 gr bullet of the above mentioned and H4831sc and a mag primer and reduce it and work it up playing with the Oal and your will find a very very accurate load. If your only going to buy one powder everyone will tell you to buy H 4831sc. It seems to really like the 130 gr .270's bullets. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

So far I've only tried h4831sc with some 130 gr accubonds and rl22 with 130gr ttsx. Both are pretty good in my rifle. Many others will tell you to look into either of the 4350s, rl19, or hunter with the 130s. For the 150s I've heard good things about 7828ssc. To pick a place to start though, I'd say either 4831 or rl22. I will say thar rl22 is looking to be a god bit faster in my rifle than 4831. If Roy chimes in he can give a lot more info.

I'll be the odd one out, I don't like RE19 or 22 with a 130 nosler I've got the best results with 56grns Imr4350 with 210Ms in win brass at 3.36" Hybrid also works very well. Imr4831 will work better with the heavy weights than H4831.

Mine shoots really well with 55.0grs of IMR-4350,Win cases,WLR primer,130gr Hornday SP and Win. Power Points.Another that's worked good is 52.5grs of Reloader-17 and 150gr Speer Deep Curl.

Well I have found that it is a pretty forgiving caliber to load for. In some 20 years with it I have loaded bullet weights ranging from 100grs up through 160grs, and have hit at least a couple of very accurate loads in every weight.

This said, I have mainly stayed with powders ranging from 3031 through Ramshot Hunter on the burn rates, but have found a couple of nice loaded with a couple of even slower powders.

My mainstay loads for my rifle are using the 130gr bullets for the most part with a couple of 150gr loads in for good measure. Probably the most accurate load has to date been with 46.5grs of IMR-3031 under the Nosler 130gr BT for around 2750fps from my rifle. It sill simply cluster the bullets into a nice quarter sized ball at 200yds day in and out. It's not fast, but it need not be, it has preformed well on deer and hogs out to 400yds with outstanding results.

Stepping up the velocity a bit I also have found that the 130gr SST over a good dose of Ramshot Hunter will really preform, almost up to the accuracy of the above load, but it is getting just over 3000fps and really rocks out at the extended ranges where the other one leaves off.

With the 150gr loads I have primarily stayed with a standard medium load using either of the 4350's and simply worked it to a range between 2650 and 2800fps. This is easily under 1" at 100yds and usually around or just a pinch over at 200. I started using it simply due to I had several hundred 150gr RN bullets of several makes given to me and I hated to see them just sit there. They are used for hog work and with the low velocities and recoil they are very good at the task. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on anything else of bigger stature, where close quarter shots might come about, like elk in dark timber.

Hope this helps, but if your like me, you will probably find that there are simply too many powders that will work very well and a few that are exceptional with this round. The end result will be what your needs are going to be, in determining the bullet weight or velocity, and then going on ahead from there.

150 gn Sierra's with 56.0 gn H4831, CCI primers, Remington or Winchester Brass. Can cloverleaf with my 1986 ish 700 ADL, that has not been bedded, only the trigger honed and adjusted for a crisp 3# with no Overtravel or Creep. Have loaded well over a thousand rounds with this recipie.

130 gn Sierra with 58.0 gn H4831, CCI mag primers, Remington or Winchester Brass, About 3/4" grouping at 100M. Still working on the load for this one, have 6 bullets left from my first box. (Still shooting up the last of my 150's)

Thats a pretty hot load for the 270 win. Work that one up slowly. Its only .4gn below the max (according to the Hornaday 8th edition Manual). Shows just under 3k fps. Is that what you chrono? Curious about your best group size with that, and seating depth.

150 gn Sierra SPBT - 3.2430" 56 gn H4831, CCI 200, WIN brass. 3 Shots cover w/ dime.
130 gn Sierra SPBT - 3.2342" 58 gn H4831, CCI 250, RP brass, Still developing.

60 grs H-4831 is what used to be listed on the Hodgdon powder can as THE LOAD with 130 gr bullets. I have used this load for deer with 130 Sierra and BT bullets and it is super accurate and will smoke any deer that ever walked.

Well i must be using some old stuff. The lot number on all of my 4831 is t0589 91291 and there is no load data on the gam.

Loaded up to 61 gr of H 4831sc prior to shooting over chrono- groups opened back up around 60. Velocity on group averaged 2967 with the 59.5 gr load, no pressure signs. 24" Kreiger barrel.

I would strongly suggest that the loads mentioned be reduced by at least 5 grains and worked up.

I have had a couple 270's that didn't like anywhere close to that high of powder charge. No listed max loads could be approached without excessive pressure signs in those rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts