270 AM fireforming etc. plus vid of horrendous recoil of 270 AM

ss7mm

We got out this afternoon to do some fire forming with my buddy's re-barreled Savage in 270 Allen Mag. Backed the truck up to the bench and started having fun. Shoot, clean……shoot, clean……shoot, clean etc. then move on to groups etc. You know the routine. Make fat cases out of skinny cases. The cases look a little crooked because they are sitting on some uneven paper on the bench.
328383.JPG
328384.JPG

Didn't take long and it was down to a 3 patch clean with Copper Melt. Enclosed video shows the horrendous recoil of these shoulder crushing magnums. Dialup beware. Groups were running around ½" which is pretty good for fire forming loads. My buddy's head comes up but that was him goofing and not the recoil. Watch the muzzle of the barrel when the round is sent down range. The ol' Holland QD does the trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Vid is "HERE" .

This is a shot up into the upper end of the canyon. Even the fire forming loads are fun at 600-800 yards on sandstone and rocks. Breaks the monotony of continuous targets during fireforming.
328385.JPG

Going to try and fire form another batch tomorrow afternoon and then work up full tilt loads. Hope to be shooting fire breathing loads by this weekend. In case you didn't view the video, the actual recoil of this rig feels to me about like a standard 243, or maybe just a little more. Kirby put a very, very potent round into a very well designed and thought out package. Can't wait to get the 7mm AM and shoot them side by side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boy thos cases look mean after they come back out of that chamber for the first time don't they SS7MM?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif\

I also like that cleaning vise you have on your tailgate, same one I use. Works pretty good

Yea I was amazed the first time I shoot my Allen Mag because of the sheer lack of recoil. With my rifle weighing 17lbs you can imagine my rifle relly kicks like a 223. I am currently trying to get Kirby's opinion on a different stock for my rifle so hopefully I will have some new pics of it soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How did you post video?? I have some great video of pdogs and that steer that BJ got to shoot I would love to post them.

Nice looking gun, even though the bolt handle is on the wrong side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep us updated
Steve

lerch:

Yup, they look a whole lot better after fire forming. Sorta gives 'em an attitude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are places that host videos like Hunt101 does pictures but I haven't used them. Google would probably find them for you. I have Charter cable internet and they give you space to host anything you want. That is where I put this little video. This video was done with my digital camera so that made it even easier to host and post.

I agree the bolt handle is on the wrong side but he seems to think it works better that way.

Good to see another southpaw.
Thanks for the video clip.
Kirby is going to build me a LR rig for hunting and shooting, but in a XP-100 chambered in 7mm Dakota. Will also be using the Holland QD for the first time.

I will have to find someone to host those videos I have for me. You guys would laugh your @$$ watching them.

Keep us updated on the max loads you find with the full tilt rounds.

BJ has been testing with them a little bit and I think I am gonna settle on 102gr of WC872. This should put me just under 3400fps and then I will just play with the seating depth a little.

I was telling some shooting buddies of mine about this round and how with the fireforming loads it only took me 6.5 MOA to bullseye a rock at 517yds with a 100 yd zero.
The guy I was telling shoots a 6mm rem and he has a 250yd zero and still uses 7 MOA for a 500yd zero.

This is one mean round. I can't wait to nail a whitail with it.

Take it easy
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.