.270 AM & 195gr Wildcats.....

41mag

Well I got a few of the latest monsters from up north to give a try. I loaded up 20 of them using 94grs of 872, and Fed.-215M primers. The initial velocity test I got using this load was running about 3150 consistantly from my rifle. Using the Exball I guessed at a BC of .9 and must have come pretty dang close as it matched the dial ups amlost to the click out to 1150yds. I zeroed it at the 500yd plate and worked out with two shots each to 700 - 2.5" C-C, then to 900 - 7/75" C-C and on to 1150 - 13.5" C-C, dialing up as I went. I was 6 clicks low at 1150, and I don't figure that was to danged bad for guessing at a number. The others were all hits on a 2'x2' box but the windage was off as I wasn't compensating for it until I got out to the 1150 mark. Then I had to dial in 6 left to keep it on the box. So far I am very impressed with them.

I didn't get any pics of the box but here are a couple of pics of what they will do to the plate at 500yds,

First round hit,
P1010002.jpg

Dialed in better,
P1010004.jpg

Wicked breeze and mirage,
P1010010.jpg

I also decided to use some 150gr Nosler Solid Bases I had sitting around to fireform a few cases a couple of weeks ago. The load was using 98grs of 872, and Fed 215's. Since they did so well at 200yds, I decided to give them a try at longer ranges as well. However the mirage got up so bad that it made anything further than 500 out of the question. But I did get this nice group before I had to head on back to town. Might be decent for BT's as well, I just don't have any to try out.

Here are a few of what they were doing,

First two out to 500,
P1010008.jpg

Dialed in somewhat better, if you notice the two which don't have the knarly orange peeled rings, those are the 195's, they just blow the peeling right off.
P1010013.jpg

Then I tried to hit the box at 700 and 900 just to see if I could but missed both times, so I dialed it back in and shot these two for confirmation, and the shadowed hole in the bottom right of the bull is another one of the 150's.
P1010014.jpg

Needless to say, I will be waiting patiently for someone up north to get back to bullet making, and hopefully what few I have will last long enough for me to pick out a hog or two. I will definately be looking forward to it. I also just gotta try one of the 150's out as well, I bet they will have a watermelon effect for sure. I will be loading up a few more of the big boys for this coming weekend and another round of the "Box Test" and hopefully even a few water jugs.

Some of you folks make this all sound like it is so damned easy just dump in some powder and dial in the range. For us poor flatlanders, who normally shoot things at head knocking ranges, this has been a total learning experience to say the least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sure has been easier with all of your help. We sure do appriciate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I might not be there just yet, but I am gaining on it fast.

Wooo Hoooo, I'm pumped...... 0.9, eh?

I think when mine gets here I'm gonna dump the 338 RUM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The 169.5 sure ain't too shabby, but the 195 must be awesome.

See my post in General Discussion, regarding shot placement. I'm betting a high shoulder shot w/the 195 will work at about any distance.

Do the shoulder blade shot on a couple of 300 pounders and let us know how they perform. (I'll come down and help ya eat 'em)

Sounds like you're getting it dialed in pretty good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like the little "piggies" better stay in the brush or they're in for a big (195 grains) surprise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let us know if you find a co-operative hog to try them out on.

Hey Roy,

Down here in the balmy southern bottom land, we're not getting the higher BC's that those in higher climates are. I used the .9 as a starting point but since I don't have all of my notes here with me, I can't do the exact figures for the corrected BC on those 195's. I would hesitate to say that for your area, that might be a decent number to start with.

I was hoping to get some idea as to the drop angle of the bullet as well, but after inspecting the box after impacts, the holes are not very different in distance from the top down. I haven't measured yet but they sure look to be danged close.

As for the hogs, their days are numbered, and their impact zone is shrinking fast. I will not be able to head up there this weekend, and possibly the next due to a previous commitment, but when I do get back, I will definately be setting my sights on shrinking the 1150yd group as well as finding something to reach out and touch, of a pork nature.

I will definately keep you informed.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.