270 AM build question

aitch

I'm wanting to build a .270 AM, I think.
Planning on using a Savage action. Is there any problem going with a .300 WM small shank 112 action?
Would I be better with a 300 RUM action?
Is there a better choice for this 112 action than the .270 AM.

Thanks.

Aitch,

On the Savage receivers, your going to have a single shot with the 270 AM because of the shoulder diameter and length of the loaded rounds.

The Savage long actions work great. In all cases, I highly recommend that the savage barrel lock nut sytem be removed and the barrel fitted in the same fashion as a Rem 700.

This eliminates the chance that the lock ring may crack and if this happens, you can have total rifle failure in just a shot or two. For liability reasons, I only recommend using the Rem 700 style barrel fitting on the Savage receivers. This also simplifies the bedding of the stock to the receiver compared to the lock nut system.

I generally have used the M111 receivers for this build but any long action Savage will work as long as you get the correct head on the bolt and fit the barrel properly.

Other then that, the 270 AM works very well on the Savage receivers. I had a personal rifle that would hold nearly 1/2 moa in good conditions at 1000 yards and it was a heavy sporter weight rifle built on the Savage receiver. That rifle has a new owner now but it is still punching sub 4" groups at 1/2 mile.

Kirby Allen(50)

aitch:

Let me direct you to one of Kirby's latest builds. This site under equipment reviews-savage convert 270AM.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
1kstr

Thanks Kirby and 1kstr.
Good information. I'm still in a bit of a quandry deciding which way to go. I'm not locked in to the .270 AM but it's what caught my attention.
I have a 700 ADL in 7 mag unfired but I like the Savage AccuTrigger.
Is there a significant difference between the 111 action in 300 RUM and the 112 in 300 WM?
Is there a problem with the 112 small shank action in this application?
Thanks for your patience with a newby.

Your doing good! Keep asking questions youll figure it out. But tell me this do you think youd like that trigger over a jewell? I played tag with Kirby for about a month and got real serious in the last two weeks before I placed my order. For me the 270AM was the ticket check out allen mag shooters group...in the equipment reviews 23 pages about AM's. Im now in the countdown for 50 to say its on its way....hundred different options so take your time and think it through and youll end up with a awesome rifle for yourself. Welcome aboard!

Aitch,

Generally when I accurize the recievers, I will open the threads up to at least 1.062 on the small shank receivers just for some added meat around the chamber. They work fine that way. Would probably work fine as is but just to make sure I open them up to that amount just to be safe.

Only diffence I believe between the 111 and 112 in 300 WIn Mag will be mag box length I believe. That said, neither are wide enough for the 270 AM shoulder diameter anyway so this should not concern you any.

Kirby Allen(50)

Would the 111 300 RUM require opening up?
If I understand correctly, the 300 RUM would only require fitting the 270 bbl.
I'm not familiar enough with the Savage geometry to quite understand what is involved with eliminating the lock nut.
I have been offered a 300 WM SS 112 low profile action and laminate stock.
Is machining required to convert the bolt from 300 WM to 300 RUM or just swapping components?
Thanks again.
Aitch

Aitch,

That bolt face should work fine. Both use the standard belted mag bolt face size.

To get rid of the barrel lock nut system, you simply machine the new barrel like you would a Rem 700 and leave out the lock nut. Would look just like a Rem 700 when finished, at least in the barrel to receiver junction.

The Savage receivers chambered for the RUM have a larger diameter receiver thread.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.