264 win mag load data

Not exactly final load data, but I am in the middle of working up a .264WM load, myself. I am new to reloading, and this is my first time doing any kind of load development. The rifle is a Winchester M70 Weather Extreme. Load details are: Barnes 120gn TSX with a 0.050" jump; Retumbo in 0.5gn steps from 61.0gn to 66.5gn; Hornady virgin brass; Federal 215M primer. Distance is 100yds. 2 shots per load. Velocity is from a Labradar.

This thread is helpful because I did not experience any pressure signs, and I see some comments that some loading books may report a low max-load. I am currently preparing another batch of ammo to go above 66.5gn. Anyway, my results, so far:

This first graph is group height above the POA . . . kind'a like a ladder test:

Velocity vs powder charge:

The target:
I bought that exact same rifle and rebarreled to a Bartlien 8 twist in 3B contour. Got about 80-90 rounds thru it and settled at 3.340(0.025 off) w/ 68.9G Retumbo, 143ELDX, WLRM. It's shooting 1/4 MOA vertical and 1/2 MOA horizontal at 200 yds. at 3075 FPS. My favorite rifle!!

Rhett

I bought that exact same rifle and rebarreled to a Bartlien 8 twist in 3B contour. Got about 80-90 rounds thru it and settled at 3.340(0.025 off) w/ 68.9G Retumbo, 143ELDX, WLRM. It's shooting 1/4 MOA vertical and 1/2 MOA horizontal at 200 yds. at 3075 FPS. My favorite rifle!!

Rhett

Great results! Just curious - who did the re-barrel work?

Pete Pieper of Precision Barrel Works in Hempstead,TX. Great smith. He's on my 5th semi build(6.5 PRC) right now. Don't ask me why, still have other rifles needing to finish load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.