.264 vs .270 WSM

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Blind Man, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Blind Man

Blind Man Member

Hi guys, I been lurking for a while and getting some good info off here so decided to register.

Anyway, I'm wanting to get a new deer/elk rifle and was checking out these 2 calibers. I like the WSM but I'm wondering about the feed issues that have been reported with them(I have a .243 WSSM and it hasn't been fun finding a load for it that cycles correctly). I was at the gun shop the other day and handled a model 70 Featherweight and wow, I loved how light it was and decided I really need this rifle.:D
    I have a 7mm and .300 Win but wanted to add another deer/elk caliber to the bunch. What I'm looking for is a flat shooter that has a decent selection of bullets available for me to work up a load.

2. CogburnR

CogburnR Well-Known Member

I have had 3 270 WSM's, 2 7WSM's, and a 300WSM and they all fed fine. 2 controlled round feed Winchesters, 2 push feed Winchesters and a Kimber controlled round feed. The Kimber is the easiest to shoot quickly it is about as quick as a bolt action gets. The CRF Winchesters were both featherweights and good rifles.If you short stroke about any bolt gun it might have problems.

The 264 magnum should feed fine but I have not had one yet. It is easier to short stroke though just from increased overall length. It is basically a necked down 7 Remington Mag.

I have a 6.5/284 Savage and it will do some weird stuff at times like pop a cartridge up when you pull the bolt back smartly(not good).

3. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

Welcome to LRH.

I have a 25 wssm Browning, a 270 wsm Winchester CRF, and a 7 saum Browning. None of these rifles have feed issues. My friends have wsm rifles and none of them have feed issues.

I really don't know where the wsm misfeed stories come from, maybe a friendofafriendofmysister'sboyfriend readainternetstory kind of thing. :D

There is a lot of "all-you-need-is-a-30-ott-6" people out there. :D

So go figure.

4. Blind Man

Blind Man Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Lol, that sounds like my buddy and his ol ott-six. That's all he needs too I guess. :D

Browning and Winchester quit making my .243 WSSM, not sure if the feeding was a reason. Overall I have been seeing positive comments on the 270 short so far. Seems like a sweet long range deer getter...

5. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

You're right. A quick check of Browning and Winchester web sights tells me that the wssm is headed for collector status. LOL

Too bad too. My 25 wssm holds 1 inch at 200 yards with 100 grain BTs. Hard to beat that for the price.

Guess they didn't sell enough of them to keep them in the line up.