pros vs cons of extra long barrel 270 wsm

Thanks J E Custom. I'm a bit limited on this project. I have a heavy bull 30in barrel I will use. I intend on using a tight neck with a little through. I really like the 135 match kings but I think I will need a heavier bullet for 1000yd. I have heard nothing but good about matrix vlds. I'm just starting to select a load for this rifle. Any thoughts?

I've built a number of 270 WSM's for long range shooting, the 26-28 inch length really seems to be ideal, I really like the 165 Matrix at 3060 fps which is not a really not pushing it but that seems to be a solid accuracy node. I would suggest NOT making it a tight neck and just go with .004 clearance on Norma brass without turning, .180 freebore is about right for 150 Bergers or 165 Matrix but a little short for the 175 Matrix.

Thanks for your help again Bigngreen! Interesting comment. What would be the downfall to going with a tight neck? I've heard you have a great history with this rifle. I'm interested in what you have seen.

Hey bigngreen.

Question about neck tolerance. The reamer that a gunsmith has for the 270WSM has a neck diameter of .3145, would one need to turn necks with that? I'm going to have a 26" Bartlien barrel with 1-10 twist and would like to shoot the 140g Berger or the 129g BarnesLR. Realistically it will be a 500-600yd max rifle. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Thanks for your help again Bigngreen! Interesting comment. What would be the downfall to going with a tight neck? I've heard you have a great history with this rifle. I'm interested in what you have seen.

I'll see if I can remember all the numbers, my brass last so long I only prep 50 cases per barrel. I found that it's just easier to run Norma brass and it's so consistent that even just pulling .001 of the neck would completely clean it up, Win brass is frankly not worth the effort to shoot, Rem brass is OK needs turned and handles the most pressure of the three but you will see groups snug up just from changing to Norma so any more that's all I would suggest running. There is just not a reason to make them overly tight, .003 neck clearance is good but I think .004 is better for accuracy and just over all ease of use, pressures stay more even and everything is just more harmonious IMO.

Norma brass loaded runs .308 on the neck, Rem runs .310, my tight neck reamer is .310. My next reamer will be .312 for no turn on Norma and a light turn on Rem but no real intention of running it. For a shoot every thing out there a .314ish is what you'd want.

Definitely use bushing dies like the Redding S and annealing is a must!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.