.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

I own and shoot both.

Makes me chuckle when folks talk about how much faster the .260 is compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor. The .260 has about a 2% capacity advantage, which when loaded to identical pressures, equals a .5% increase in velocity which adds about 14fps. Big fat hairy deal.

I prefer the CM because in a short action, the case is better suited for the long nosed VLD type bullets. Good quality brass is plentiful and should I ever need it, I can go in almost any store and find reasonably priced quality factory ammo.

What I don't get is why the Creedmoor detractors hate the cartridge so much. Still haven't grasped that one.

John

So can someone give me realistic speeds in 22-24" Creed - with 120 thru 130 class? Please list bbl length, twist, speed, bullet, and powder used if you do not mind. Thanks.

In my 24" Bartlein barreled match gun, I'm getting 2910 with 130gr Berger Hybrids pushed by 40.1 gr Varget in Hornady brass. Not max in that rifle but likely on the warm side. Primer pocket life is good. Other brands of brass may have less capacity, so work up to it.

John

I own and shoot both.

Makes me chuckle when folks talk about how much faster the .260 is compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor. The .260 has about a 2% capacity advantage, which when loaded to identical pressures, equals a .5% increase in velocity which adds about 14fps. Big fat hairy deal.

I prefer the CM because in a short action, the case is better suited for the long nosed VLD type bullets. Good quality brass is plentiful and should I ever need it, I can go in almost any store and find reasonably priced quality factory ammo.

What I don't get is why the Creedmoor detractors hate the cartridge so much. Still haven't grasped that one.

John

The Creedmoor is criticized because it's the cartridge they "love to hate." A lot of guys are resistant to anything new, or to change in general - and this is nothing new. The 6.5 Creedmoor has probably increased the popularity of the 260 Remington, because people realize that this level of performance is a winner. Pick your favorite - old school or new school - and enjoy whichever one of these great cartridges floats your boat. They're both good cartridges, neither really is better than the other.

IMG_4717.JPG

Thanks John,
Re: twist, Rem has a great track record of screwing up anything that has potential. If the twist was 8 to launch, and QUALITY affordable ammo came out like now is out with the CM, the 260 might not have falling out of favor. The ONLY time I was use slower than 8 twist in a 6.5 is with a higher capacity and velocity of say a 264 Win Mag. 8.5 perhaps.

Thanks John,
Re: twist, Rem has a great track record of screwing up anything that has potential. If the twist was 8 to launch, and QUALITY affordable ammo came out like now is out with the CM, the 260 might not have falling out of favor. The ONLY time I was use slower than 8 twist in a 6.5 is with a higher capacity and velocity of say a 264 Win Mag. 8.5 perhaps.

260 Remington
1/8 twist model 700
https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/90809/remington_700_sps_260?cpath=

By the time you stuff those long bullets in the short neck of the 260 the capacity advantage over the creedmoor is not that much. Hornady did it right. Remington screwed the pooch with the 260. Haters going to hate. Hornady got it right with the creeddmoor.

The cm comes close but doesn't match the speed of the 260 in any reloading manuals. We can argue accuracy nodes and hot loads, but the 260 gives almost 100fps more with the 140 class bullets. Reloder 26 works in both :)
Mram10us, do you have any load data for the .260 using Reloder 26 and 130gr. bullets? I was given a couple of boxes of Sierra tipped Gamechanger 130gr. I just had my .308 Savage rebarreled to a 1-8 twist .260 but can't find any information for Reloder 26.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts