260 Remington?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by haeffnkr, Dec 11, 2003.

1. haeffnkr

haeffnkr Member

I am looking to get an Bullberry/Encore setup in 260 for deer(etc.) I would like to be able to shoot out to 450(+) with this setup.
    I was told the 260 would be an excellent longrange choice for this.

Does anyone have any experience withe the 260?
    Is it generally accurate?
    Can anyone comment on Bullberry Barrels/Encore's accuracy?

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks Kevin

2. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

the 260 can be quite accurate-as far encores go i have experience with them,but in my opinion they dont seem like they be a quality lr setup.what lenghth barrel were u thinking about?i ask because in the shorter barrels with the 260 u just about lose the ability use the heavier 6.5 bullets that make bore size really shine[high bc and high sect. density]because of the slow velocities.i am completely biased though,as i shoot the 6.5-284[with excellent results],i get almost 3000fps with a 142mk in a 26" tube.with a 30" in tube in the 260 u might get that,but i doubt it.the real reason i say this is because once u build and chamber rifle and find urself shooting proficiently at its max,sometimes u find urself wanting more,the 6.5-284 will give u more,my-2-dave

3. haeffnkr

haeffnkr Member

Thanks for the response.

I am going with a 24" barrel, in full bull.
    I was hoping to use the 100 or 120 Nosler BT bullets. (I have had excellent accuracy results, and performance, in other loads so far...)So with the lower grain bullet I was hoping to pick up a little bit more speed and keep the balistics "up" downrange too.

See any problems with this plan so far?

thanks Kevin

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure that the extra speed of the light bullets will still be there at 450+ yards. Lower BC bullets loose it after a few hundred yards.
    For a reliable 1/4 mile biggame rifle, I'd prefer something a little heavier than the 260. I built a 7STW for just that purpose, but thats me.
    Good luck either way.

VH

5. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

if u are going with the lighter bullets try the 123g scenar-bc of like .550-my-2-dave

6. milanuk

milanuk Well-Known Member

Yep. The Lapua 123 Scenar has a better B.C. than a 140gr SMK, and can usually go a good bit faster to boot, sometimes enough to come close to a 142gr SMK. But that's out of a long barrel (28-30") w/ slow powders. I'd be interested in how it works out w/ the Encore barrel.

Monte

7. old fart

old fart Well-Known Member

can't comment on the encore - but have a 6.5 jdj barrel ,and a 6.5 TCU chambered barrel and both are extremely accurate , I love em , and critters hate em - thanks

8. old fart

old fart Well-Known Member

sorry these are 18" contender barrels not rifle barrels - thanks

9. haeffnkr

haeffnkr Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can I get some more specifics on the "Lapua 123 Scenar"?
    Is this a good hunting bullet?

thanks Kevin

10. milanuk

milanuk Well-Known Member

The Lapua Scenars are match bullets. Not sure how thick the jacket is compared to a Matchking. The 123gr has a pretty healthy BC, something like .547 (as compared to .535 or so for the 140gr SMK). The 139 Scenar has a .615 BC.

HTH,

Monte