260 rem vers 6.5 Creedmoor?

vino

Mud didn't come right out and say it but man, you gotta learn how to mount your own scopes - especially with the luck you've been having. If you don't do it yourself you can't properly set scope distance from your eye and you are just counting on luck.

You can buy a plastic stand to set the gun on for $15. Level the gun, line the crosshairs up with a plumb bob (a string with something heavy hanging on it). Then slowly tighten up the screws.
Also don't forget to buy a Wheeler FAT Wrench (torque wrench) and a Wheeler scope leveling kit.

The more I read the more I'm glad I like and buy Ruger's.
I like the old stainless MKII's with the shiny stainless finish and the skeleton stocks....Got 2 of those sitting in the safe, big bro (7mm RM) and little bro (7mm-08) that are a matching set. I've whacked-and-stacked majority of deer I've killed in my life with those 2 rifles. And for that, I will never sell them.

Unfortunately for the end-user....The Rugers do not have a very large aftermarket following, and aftermarket parts and custom parts are not in any large pleathora anywhere.

If you are a big Ruger 77 fan, I suggest having your smith drill the reciever, and mount you an EGW rail on top, so you can have ALOT more scope and ring options than having to buy the hard to find Ruger rings made specifically to fit on their rifles and pistols.

Ya; I was running the numbers and I need to gain at a minimum of 20 moa and more if I can get it so that I can get enough windage adjustment at 1 k. .
There is getting to be more aftermarket stuff for the Rugers . PTG is now making DBM bottom metal and mags. I prefer laminated stocks so there are plenty of them.

I prefer bases that screw-down over ones that clamp-on. JMO. I' e had my Ruger 7RM's rings come loose while sighting in. It almost ruined an afternoon hunt.

Mine is on a .338 Win Mag pushing 225 grainers for over 3 years now without any problem.

Anyways, it's very cost effective alternative presented and does not require gunsmithing.

I have a M77 MKII in .338 WM

P4030316.jpg

... and it shoots factory (Hornady 225gr SST) like ...

TgtGfx1.jpg

I replaced it with B&C Duramaxx for $90 (on sale) ...

P2210386.jpg

Still working on loads (currently shooting 225 NABs with 73.5 H4831SC) a getting <1 MOA @ 400 yards, rifle not bedded.

First kill last year @ 338 yards ...

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg

2011-11-19_14-48-02_4.jpg

Sometimes the problem may not be the stock, I had a friend that had a bad barrel on his wife's .270 Win (non-paddle type stock) - he got rid of it.

Good luck!

(Sorry for all the pix) :cool:

Please don't be sorry for all the pics. . Is that a Muscle Brake on your 338. Very nice. !!!! Very good shooting rifle.
Are those the Signature rings with the inserts?? That is another way to get cant and or to zero the windage adjustment

I've only had 1 scope come off a mk2 reciever. That was on my 458 and I didn't put it on correctly one time.

I really like the dead predator pics !!

My gunsmith told me that he couldn't tap the reciever because it was so hard that it broke the taps when he tried it. But another smith said that he could. Mud ; did you put a rail on your Ruger?? How did the job go?

I fear we have strayed far from the original post. But for me it is a very interesting conversation.

Please don't be sorry for all the pics. . Is that a Muscle Brake on your 338. Very nice. !!!! Very good shooting rifle.
Are those the Signature rings with the inserts?? That is another way to get cant and or to zero the windage adjustment

I've only had 1 scope come off a mk2 reciever. That was on my 458 and I didn't put it on correctly one time.

My gunsmith told me that he couldn't tap the reciever because it was so hard that it broke the taps when he tried it. But another smith said that he could. Mud ; did you put a rail on your Ruger?? How did the job go?

I fear we have strayed far from the original post. But for me it is a very interesting conversation.

I bought the rifle used, the MB is a custom similar to Holland's QD but the ports are larger.

They are indeed Burris signature zee rings with inserts.

Thanks!

... and yes we strayed ........................................

You guys are totally fine. I don't mind that it strayed..

I whent gun shopping a found a savage bench rest gun in 6.5 × 284.

Grey lam stock the barrel is like 4 feet long and 1.5" thick It's SS with no mag.
He is raffling it off only 12 tickets sold @100$ each. .
It's very very nice..

Attachments

• 20140625_171704.jpg
    20140625_171704.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 92

I have not put one on either of mine yet. But I'm sure I will in the near future. When I do, I will post pics.

You guys are totally fine. I don't mind that it strayed..

I whent gun shopping a found a savage bench rest gun in 6.5 × 284.

Grey lam stock the barrel is like 4 feet long and 1.5" thick It's SS with no mag.
He is raffling it off only 12 tickets sold @100$ each. .
It's very very nice..

With a barrel that big you should be able to get 2 or 3 more chambers out of it and a couple recrowns . Did u get a ticket?

The Murphy Rail is a good looking unit. There is another one that clamps to the dovetails. I was thinking about doing a belt and suspenders thing and also having it drilled and tapped with 8×40 screws.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.