260 info

fasteddie53

Just bought a 260 28 inch 1:8 twist on savage action want to shoot 140 gr bullets. Can.someone give Mr a ideal on powder or tips thanks

Mine likes H-4831 the best but 4350 is also a good choice as are RL-22 and RL-19 also don't over look 7828 with a pipe that long. Superformance is next on my hit list for testing if my life ever slows down. Should squeeze a bit more speed than 4831 and if the other cartridges I have worked this powder into are any indication I should be able to get better accuracy too. I like the superformance even though there is no data for what I like to use it in it works really well. I start with 4831 starting loads and work up slowly. I can always find superformance but other powders are still hard to come by

Mine likes H-4831 the best but 4350 is also a good choice as are RL-22 and RL-19 also don't over look 7828 with a pipe that long. Superformance is next on my hit list for testing if my life ever slows down. Should squeeze a bit more speed than 4831 and if the other cartridges I have worked this powder into are any indication I should be able to get better accuracy too. I like the superformance even though there is no data for what I like to use it in it works really well. I start with 4831 starting loads and work up slowly. I can always find superformance but other powders are still hard to come by

What kind of velocities are you getting with H4831? I tried it in my 260 with a 28" barrel some time ago and although accuracy was outstanding, the velocity was waaay too low. H4350 took care of the velocity 'problem' and produced fantastic accuracy.

What kind of velocities are you getting with H4831? I tried it in my 260 with a 28" barrel some time ago and although accuracy was outstanding, the velocity was waaay too low. H4350 took care of the velocity 'problem' and produced fantastic accuracy.

My average is 2720 with 4831 would have liked more speed but the accuracy won the day after learning how tune the Berger's. My best buddy's wife has had this rifle on loan for 2 plus years now and she don't want to give it back! She has wacked a lot of coyotes with it out to 300 plus yards 3 or 4 deer at 200 or less and a couple of badgers. I think I am going to have to get myself a new one now cause I don't think she is going to let that rifle leave the farm.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.