257 weatherby

baydog

Does a 257 weatherby shoot the same bullet as a 25-06? It's a 25 caliber right? Does anyone have a favorite grain bullet they perfer for the 257 weatherby? I was pushing towards the 115 gr. for white tail deer. Hoping to shoot at least 200 yards flat

Thanks for your time and help

Scotty

the whitetails here average about 75 pounds. just about any bullet will work. I like 100 grain ballistic tip , or 110 accubond.

The 257 wby is like the Vulcan deathray for these VA whitetails (seldom larger than 150 pounds). The 110 NAB and the 100TTSX are my favorites. You don't have to use 115's and 200 yds is a chip shot.

Check out bullet reviews at MidwayUSA.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

115 Bergers @ 3250 fps is pretty easy to obtain. The thing is a laser and 200 yrds will be a warm up for ya!

Scotty, load the 115 Berger for 3 .257 WBY rifles with H1000, WBY brass and 215M primers. Of course the charge varies with each rifle, but this combo is responsible for mule deer, antelope and javelina one shot kills. My son and a friend shoot them in their 25-06's. I believe HSM offers the 115 Berger in loaded ammo for the .257 WBY. Good luck

It seems the Barnes 100ttsx were very popular when I was researching for my 257 bee.I ended up with the 100ttsx and 7828 sssc and ot is super accurate.I had good luck with it during the Montana mule deer season.A nice 4x4 at 70 yards in the neck and drt.The doe we stretched it out to 650 yards behind the front shoulder with a complete pass through- she stood for a few seconds took 20 steps and fell over.
My new favorite caliber and gun!

I have posted this before.....five of us use the 115 Berger in our 257 weatherby chambered rifles.
To date have killed the following animals. Many with one shot instant death kills.

19 coues wt
6 elk
4 mule deer
2 antelope
2 javelina

It is a great combination of flat trajectory and moderate recoil with deadly results. I am certain you are going to like the way it works.

the whitetails here average about 75 pounds. just about any bullet will work. I like 100 grain ballistic tip , or 110 accubond.
I be liking the accubounds more and more. I've always shot the 140 nosler balistic tip in my 7 mag with great results. I like the way the fly always bang flop shots but they seem to turn into shrapnel SOMETIMES on impact. Have shot a few in my 7 mag and my 300rum seems to like the 200gr so I am defiently going to be trying them in this 257 wby.
Thanks Roninflag

115 Bergers @ 3250 fps is pretty easy to obtain. The thing is a laser and 200 yrds will be a warm up for ya!
Can't wait to start finding the recipe this gun will like. Been asking questions and reading about the 257 weatherby for about 2 years and finally got one on it's way. Would like to shoot as heavy as bullet as i can without dogging the gun too bad. Are you saying that 200 yards with a 115 gr bullet is a consistent shot for this gun and i might be cutting it a little short?
Thanks classnfa

The 257 wby is like the Vulcan deathray for these VA whitetails (seldom larger than 150 pounds). The 110 NAB and the 100TTSX are my favorites. You don't have to use 115's and 200 yds is a chip shot.

Check out bullet reviews at MidwayUSA.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
Thanks Bob. I do believe I will be starting with 110 or 115gr to get started. Gonna check out the bullet views you're talking about. Do you think the 110 or 115 will shoot a little further than 200 yard flat?

Scotty, load the 115 Berger for 3 .257 WBY rifles with H1000, WBY brass and 215M primers. Of course the charge varies with each rifle, but this combo is responsible for mule deer, antelope and javelina one shot kills. My son and a friend shoot them in their 25-06's. I believe HSM offers the 115 Berger in loaded ammo for the .257 WBY. Good luck
Thanks Dosh. I have got plenty of H1000 that I have been using in my 300rum and that gun seems to like it pretty good. I like the ole faithful imr4350 but the H1000 seems to be a consistent powder i'm finding the more I use it..

It seems the Barnes 100ttsx were very popular when I was researching for my 257 bee.I ended up with the 100ttsx and 7828 sssc and ot is super accurate.I had good luck with it during the Montana mule deer season.A nice 4x4 at 70 yards in the neck and drt.The doe we stretched it out to 650 yards behind the front shoulder with a complete pass through- she stood for a few seconds took 20 steps and fell over.
My new favorite caliber and gun!
Sounds great Makaira! It's a new caliber for me and anxious to get started with it.

I have posted this before.....five of us use the 115 Berger in our 257 weatherby chambered rifles.
To date have killed the following animals. Many with one shot instant death kills.

19 coues wt
6 elk
4 mule deer
2 antelope
2 javelina

It is a great combination of flat trajectory and moderate recoil with deadly results. I am certain you are going to like the way it works.
That's what I like AZShooter..The bang flop 1 shot type shots. /so you're using the 115gr and shooting at least 200 yard?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.