257 Weatherby seater die

baydog

Hello everyone. Having trouble finding a rcbs gold metal reloading seater die for a 257 weatherby. I bought a set for the 300rum I have and will probally never buy another set of regular dies again. I really ike the adjustment knob at the top of the die and realy like the window that is in the side of the die to be abe to just drop the bullet in the die instead of doing the balancing act whie getting my fingers pinched until the bullet starts in the die. Does anyone know a good place to purchase either the set or just the seater gold metal die? Does anyone else make a die that the bullet can be dropped in the side of the die??
Thanks for your time and help
Scotty

I'm gonna try first thing monday morning...never even thought of calling them. Thank you!
Scotty

bay, tomorrow "Monday" will perhaps be a holiday at RCBS. With Christmas being on a Sunday, many businesses give employees the following Monday off. Good luck

Hey Dosh..Do you think a 25-06 rcbs competition seater die will work as a seater die for 257 weatherby? They both have a .257" bullet. The case on a 25-06 is .473 and a case on a 257 weatherby is .531 which means the weatherby is 0.058 bigger round and the case length on a 25-06 is 2.494 and the 257 weatherby case length is 2.549 ...soooo that means the 257 is 0.055 longer. I should be able to use the bullet depth adjustment to make up for the extra length but the diameter might be a problem...The case might not fit in the die..Not sure how tight of a fit the seater die is to the actual case but I have a gold metal competition die for a 300rum. I'll see how tight the 300rum case fits in it's seater die..The 25-06 seater job is to push a .257" bullet so that part should be ok but don't think the fatter 257 weatherby case will fit in the die...And I'm pretty sure for some reason rcbs doesn't make a .257 weatherby comp seater die...or neither does any other manufactor...might have to call in a favor from a machinst friend to open the hole up in a 25-06 to fit a fatter .257 weatherby round...Am I crazy or do you think it will work with a little help?
Thanks

After reading your post, ya you're a little bit crazy. .257 WBY no way will fit in a 25-06 die (see pic). Forster has a .257 WBY Ultra Micrometer Seater Die which would save you time and money to pursue. Forster products are very well made high quality precision reloading dies and equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Baydog,

quote: "...or neither does any other manufactor" (sic)

Redding makes a comp seater for the 257, I know I have one.

Lol..I don't deny the "LiL bit crazy part" or the sic part... And you're correct again Redding and Foster make GREAT products as far as i'm concerned but do they make comp dies that have the window in the side of the seater die like the rcbs gold medal or comp does? Does your Redding seater die have a window in the side? Thats one of the 2 main reasons i wanted to go to the rcbs gold medal or comp die is because of the window and the micrometer type knob. If your Redding does have a window please let me know because i have know problem with getting Redding or Foster..Thanks Dosh

I'm quite sure only RCBS has a die with a loading window. These RCBS dies are quite flexible and can load for many different calibers. All you need is the proper caliber collar and seater plug. I have an RCBS 22/250 comp seater die and with the proper caliber collar and seater plug I use it to seat bullets for my 300 RUM and 30/378 Wea . This is how flexible this die is. My casemaster tells me that bullet run out is also good.

Thanks Cape Cove. Yes rcbs does make the gold medal series or competition type die with the window but i went to there website and have been looking on other websites to try to find a gold medal or comp die for my 257 weatherby and can't seem to find one for that paticular caliber. I have them for my 300rum and 7mag and 243 and like them very much because they load great ammo and I really like the window in the side and the micrometer type knob for really fine tuning bullet depth but the window part i like best and they only company I can find that has the window type is rcbs but they don't seem to make one for a 257 weatherby caliber . Wasn't sure how close a 25-06 was to the 257 weatherby. The 257 weatherby case is 0.058 bigger round than the 25-06 caliber and the 257 is 0.055 longer than the 25-06. So that's what I am trying to find out if it is anyway to make another size caliber work. I do want the window type die made by rcbs but would buy another brand name for this 257 if it does have the window or if i can put one together by useing rcbs. I was just looking at the 7mm remington mag and the 7mm weatherby mag case specs and they look really close to the 257 weatherby.. A lot closer than the 25-06 anyways..If ya get the chance check out the specs on the 257 weatherby and compare them to the 7mm remington mag and the 7mm weatherby mag. I think they would probally be closer than the 25-06 and might just work as far as the seater die goes...Thanks for your help Cape cove

The 7mm die will work. What you need is the caliber collar. I'm sure if you can get a 25 cal colar like the 25/06 then it will work. The 7mm seater stem may already be good enough. If you have a run out gage the you can seat some and check the run out. If all is good then you can go with the 7mm seater stem.

Cool.. Thanks Cape Cove. The specs from the 7mag look real close to the 257 wby. I think i can get a 25 cal type collar and make it work with the 7mm stem work by adjusting the depth knob...
some roll out checks and a lot of caliper measurements to be sure. Thanks for your help and I'll let ya know how it turns out.. Thanks again

Capecove just wanted to let you know that i was able to contact rcbs today and they don't make a gold medal seater die for a 257 weatherby but the do make a competition series type die that fits all 25 caliber rifles RCBS #: 57165-Comp Seater Die-25 for $150 or I could by the competition die set for a 25-06 RCBS #: 39501 for $105 and it comes with a rebate but the resizer die would not work for me. So that's what I did is bought the 25-06 set and wil just use the resizer die for a paper weight. So you were right on the money about the seater dies being flexible and able to use them on diffrent caliber guns. Thank you Capecove for your time and help
Baydog

Glad to hear you can get what you need. Yes these dies are very flexible. With your 25 cal die you will be able to load most 25 cal cartridges and with the proper inserts many 277--284--and 308 cal rounds. They are very easy to take apart and interchange parts for.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.