.257 Weatherby Mag load data

I have a 1-7.5 twist on mine that was chambered with the Blackjack reamer. I had better luck with the 121 Hammer then the Blackjack. I worked up a load with N-570 that I will probably use on deer this year.
If you have a shorter freebore you need to start low and work up. You can get pressure quicker. Be safe and enjoy.
I know this is an old thread, but do you mind sharing your load data. I have been struggling with 121 hammers and n570.

It's about time you re-engage after all these years! 😇 A belated welcome to LRH, and enjoy it.

Do you already have the barrel made for 1:7.5" and have the 131 BJs? The reason I asked is that the twist recommendation for the 128 HH is 1:7" (not sure if you're able to stabilize it at your altitude) and the 131 BJs have been hard to acquire few months. Good luck!

Ed
7.5 Bartlein will stabilize the 128, or mine does with Retumbo. I know the powder doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, just thought I would throw that in there.

The H4831 or even RL 22 or 25 might get you where you want to be. I've a sustainable amount of N570 and Retumbo, the N570 is made for a heavier projectile I use it in my 26 Nosler with the 156 begers and it outperforms everything else powder wise. I also use it in 300 Bee with 220 Bergers. I run the 178 Hammers in the Bee to, but it likes Retumbo and 7828 best with Hammers. Same with the 257 Bee and the 128 Hammers, I 'll get some of the 121's and run a test and let you know what I get with the Retumbo and 7828.

Thank you!! I have been struggling with this gun!!
mgondini,
Sorry for the delay getting you the information but life has been crazy lately. The following load has proven to be safe in my rifle but may not be safe in every rifle so as usual start low and work up.

Norma .257 Weatherby brass full length resized with Redding .280 bushing in die.
121gr Hammer Hunter.
67.5gr VihtaVuori N-570.
Federal 215 Match primers.
CBTO using my Hornady comparator is 3.835" which makes the COAL 3.345" and the best I could tell about .016 off the lands.
Velocity range for 3 shots was 3354-3376 not a great ES but I can live with it considering no brass prep except trim length and primer pockets.
No crimp was applied but I may give that a try just to see what it does to the ES.
I have had no pressure signed with this load in my rifle. I started to see pressure with IMR 7828 at lower velocity with the hammers and R-26 with the Blackjacks.

1663328149711.jpeg

3 shots @ 100yds has been a constant load but I need to shoot some longer distances. I have had very good luck on deer sized game with the hammers in other calibers. Plan on taking this to WV this year if I get a chance.

Last edited: