257- STW

Chasin Elk, sorry it took so long to respond to your e-mail. here is some of what i found: Rem 700 with 26" Shilen Barrel (1-10"). First of all, I would caution against using RE-25 or any other large stick powder. Powder bridging is a huge problem with this case. Kirby Allen also experienced this. You would shoot a number of shots with no signs of pressure, than suddenly lock the bolt, smoking the primer and ruining the case. My best loads were with Ramshot Magnum and I finally settled on 76.2gns with a 110gn Accubond (Fed 215M primer). This was a hot load in my rifle and should be appraoched cautiously. This load chronoed at 3500. I never realized the velocities that some CLAIM they get with the 257 STW. The 115gn ballistic tip showed excellent accuracy but I quit using it because of very poor performance on small Coues whitetail deer. The accubond held together much better. Loads were interchangeable for the two Nosler bullets. I pulled the barrel on mine after losing accuracy (around 800 rnds). I do have a reamer (used twice) and Redding dies available for sale. I think the 257WSM wuld be a better way to go, since the short fat case would eliminate some ignition issues and allow longer seating in a long action. Anyhow, hope this helps some. Jerry

257 Speed,
How much for dies and what exactly have you got? Standard die set,,competition set ,neck die?
Brute

I do still have the dies. They are the Redding Deluxe three die set. Neck, full length and seater. The dies are in great shape, although I have misplaced one of the expanders. They are interchangeable between the two sizing dies or a new one would cost about $7. I would like to get $100 (shipped) but will entertain offers (trades?). Chasinelk has first dibs by order of response here. Thanks, Jerry

I have Layne Simpson's article For Shooting Times on the 257STW.Shoot me a pm with your address and I'll send you a copy of his data.Hopefully, my smith will complete my 257STW in a couple of weeks and we can compare reloading results.
Brute

Would you email me that article data and case info

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.