257 caliber question

I think you will be spinning your wheels with any capacity larger than a 257 Weatherby. They may doing some spinning at that capacity.

In my mind the application dictates the cartridge. I loved my 257 Roberts, and my 25-06. the former was was used all over California and was a deer killing machine. then I got over to Nevada where 400 yard shots were nearly the norm. the 25-06 was the go to rifle for "speed goats" prong horn along the flats out along the north eastern part of Nevada. in the mid-west/open plains where long shots are the norm, the 257 Weatherby would be an excellent choice. the 25-284 win is a cartridge I was going to get but never did. I found my 25-06 was well up to the challenges of the open spaces here. I do not know much about the 25 creed. don't really think it would be anything but a downgrade from the 257 roberts. some of the other cartridges mentioned are a bit unfamiliar to me. too many wildcats being developed these days for me to keep up with.
one I do know about is the 25-270 WSM/25-7MM WSM that is one hot smoking cartridge. I nearly built one 4 years ago. I am also familiar with the 25 STW another super hot smoking 25 cal that is best used on the open plains. I have built a few 257 Rob AI's, 25-06 AI's, and a few 25-7MM WSM's. All of those cartridges were so flat shooting. I am a WSM fan so I really want to build myself one. but as of yet never got around to it.
with the big cased 25's I suggest a tight twist barrel for the VLD and super heavy slugs.
just my 2 cents worth.

When and if I got a 25 caliber I would seriously look at the Bob in a fast twist.
Seems about rightly balanced in capacity to bore for a deer-sized cartridge.

Well I've done the 257wsm of course. It does not beat the 257wbymag. It still does 35 and change with 100 gn bullets. But the wby will easily get 3600 and not be hard on brass. I think the creed will perform better than the bob if throated properly. What's impressive is the little 250ai. What an improvement for that one. But they really are all very good rounds in my opinion. Shep

I think the creed will perform better than the bob if throated properly.

Have the Bob throated appropriate to the shooter's wishes. As mentioned, with newer bullets, the Bob (and Bob AI) might look pretty nice in a 7.5-8" twist.

I've got a 25wsm it will do anything a 257 wby will do as long as you have a 26" barrel. I'm shooting a nosler 100 gr flat base (before ballistic tips) 3600+ with a healthy dose of rl 25 and a shilen 3 grove barrel it's a tack driver. I still haven't figured out why this wasn't a factory chambering.

Last edited:
That really is the point here then, a high velocity 25 cal in a short action rifle. Plenty of long action options that are quite adequate. And just because the 6.5 CM is really accurate doesn't mean the 257 version will be.

Well, sounds like the 25-Creed and the 250 AI could both work in the bullet and powder range, 25-Creed with 52.5grs of h2/o and the 250 AI with 54.5grs of h2/o which one to pick and why? :)

There the 6.5 addiction, which is an improved 6.5x55 designed to run in a 2.95 coal, take that case neck it down to 257 believe you'd be around 57gr powder. It has a short freebore but that case has a long neck. Would be pretty quick lil round.

Gibb -

Howdy !

Review of each case' spec's shows that the .250 Ackley improved has a 40* shoulder angle and nominal .455" shoulder diam.

A notional .250 Creedmoor would have a 30* shoulder angle and around the same shoulder diam as what the .250AI has.

The .25 Creedmoor ( I believe ) would have a slightly longer base-to-shoulder dimension than what the .250AI has.

Tthe powder storage area covered by the .25 Creedmoor would be slightly larger than that seen on the .250AI ( owing to the former's shallower shoulder angle ).
That fact added to the .25 Creedmoor's slightly longer base-to-shoulder dimension would result in it having a tad more case capacity that the .250AI ( IMHO ).

Case oal's are very close.

Brass preference would possibly bias one's decision ....one way or the other.

With regards,
357Mag

The Creedmoor case has a slightly larger shoulder diameter of .462" compared to the 250 AI which is nominally .455"

Only 7 thou larger, it is less taper, with a 30 degree shoulder angle. Capacity difference is probably a wash.

Forgive me if I'm asking a previously asked and answered question, but I haven't found one addressing this topic in my search so here goes. I'm a big quarter bore fan. I've owned the 257 Roberts, and currently have a 250 Savage; a 250 Savage AI; a varmit barreled 25:06; and a sportier 25:06 AI. I've been looking at another 257 Roberts, but I'm seeing some information about a 25cm. My research has been sketchy and it seems to be known by different names. So I turn to where I always turn - to those who know best and can provide the most relevant and detailed answers. Who has or has shot one and where does it fit in the 257 caliber family.
The Speer .25 Caliber bullets are amazing, real sleeper. Speer Hot core 87 gr. bullet. It is not new and "sexy" but it works. Out of a 25/45 Sharps I've gotten 1/4" groups from an AR. See my attached newsletter, page 12.

Attachments

• 25-45 Reload data.pdf
    21.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 6 - Jake Cantor first coyote, mojave river bottom, 25-45 SRC 9-13-15, 730 am Copy.jpg
    6 - Jake Cantor first coyote, mojave river bottom, 25-45 SRC 9-13-15, 730 am Copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 074 PCOC PRESS SEPTEMBER 2015.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 241
Edd ,,, years ago they said that 257 WBY was way too overbore ,,, why is now the Lazz 257 Scramjet way too over bore ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.