257 caliber question

Edd ,,, years ago they said that 257 WBY was way too overbore ,,, why is now the Lazz 257 Scramjet way too over bore ?
Because the exit hole diameter of the cartridge restricts the gas flow. There is going to be a point where the only way to get more gas into the barrel, while the bullet is there, is to raise the pressure or lengthen the barrel. It will take some pressure curves from both cartridges to give an accurate answer. Do you know if that data is available for public viewing?

What is the case capacity of a 257 Scramjet?

Last edited:
I have not shot a 25 creedmoor. One way to gauge potential is with case capacity.

I would suggest the 25 creedmoor ( case capacity of 52.5 gr of water) with same pressures will have slightly less velocity than the 25-243 sometimes called the 25 super (54 gr of water)

The 257 Roberts 56 gr of water, 250 savage 46 gr of water.

I have owned a 25-284 which is easy to form from 6.5-284 brass. It has a 35 degree shoulder and minimum body taper and should duplicate performance of a 25-06 with both holding 66 gr of water.

Why not go all the way and own a 257 Weatherby? 84 gr of water.
Now you talking.!!!!! Load it up or down! Mine likes Weatherby brass fed. 215 g.m.m. primers r25 powder nosler partions, ballistic tips or accubonds

.257 wby all the way! I have had a 257 wby for 20+ years and out of all my calibers/rifles it's by far my favorite and always go to rifle for everything. Some may disagree on its ability but have taken *Rule 4 Violation* near everything with it coyotes, deer, cougar, bear, elk etc. 100 gr TTSX 3675fps absolute laser! Only recovered one bullet in the off side hide on bull elk everything else complete pass through with amazing internal damage. Speed kills!

.257 wby all the way! I have had a 257 wby for 20+ years and out of all my calibers/rifles it's by far my favorite and always go to rifle for everything. Some may disagree on its ability but have taken *Rule 4 Violation* near everything with it coyotes, deer, cougar, bear, elk etc. 100 gr TTSX 3675fps absolute laser! Only recovered one bullet in the off side hide on bull elk everything else complete pass through with amazing internal damage. Speed kills!
I love my 257 Weatherby also and I like what you had to say sir.

I would wait for the weatherby rpm brass to hit the shelf. Should be close to the 257wbymag in a standard bolt face. Gonna be interesting. Good luck with your project.
Shep
Great idea. You can also buy the inexpensive Weatherby 100 soft points for $ 34.00 to $35.00 dollars some time even less shoot and take a lot of game with it then reload the brass. It's great brass. I do this..

I've got a 25wsm it will do anything a 257 wby will do as long as you have a 26" barrel. I'm shooting a nosler 100 gr flat base (before ballistic tips) 3600+ with a healthy dose of rl 25 and a shilen 3 grove barrel it's a tack driver. I still haven't figured out why this wasn't a factory chambering.
Me also

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.