253 gn PRL

Brent

Sam,

Big Bears - 253 gr. PRL @ 2,680 fps.

You reminded me with this, I was going to ask you about this bullets construction.

I read in "The Highpower Shooting Primer" an article with the guy that designed this bullet and started Powell River Laboratories.

When I read that they were designed to "blow up" on impacting the berm behind the target I wondered how the hell are they going to penitrate an animal if they blow up on a berm?

When you first posted the 253gn PRL worked so well on elk, I thought they used a solid tungsten core, instead I read they use a compressed "powder"???

I'm not sure what hold these things together on impact that they get the penitration so I wonder if you could explain if they are modified from the ones he was initially tested somehow or just what?

Any idea when they will be available again, I remember someone saying they were gearing up to do a larger scale production of them?

Thanks a bunch.

Howdy Brent,

There are several versions of the 253 and other PRL products. When you employ this technology it gives you great freedom in choosing penetration profiles. The cores are not just tungsten powder, and the amount of compression allows penetration and tissue destruction profiles never seen before. Someday we can get together and I can share more specific info on how this all works, suffice it to say "Monster Browns" are "NO PROBLEM"
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.