250 or 300 smk

shooterpunk2

I know the 300 gr. SMK's work like magic on big game out of a 338 edge or similar, but what about the 250 gr. SMK's out of a 338 WM? Do people have good luck with these on elk sized game? Or does anyone shoot the 300 SMK out of the 338 WM? Looking on the JBM ballistics calculator, if shot at 2400 fps it still has a little over 1500 fpe at 900 yards, seems pretty good to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Not what you're looking for, but the 250gr Smkhp's didn't work in my .338 x .378 and the 300's do. A little closer to the question; 250gr Nosler Partitions work great in .340 Wby's. In general, I would think that the 250gr Smkhp's would be good in the .338 WM, but the 300's are too heavy to be optimum in that caliber. I would work on the 250's.

Good luck, Tom

Nice, thanks guys. I dont have one yet but im thinking about getting one because i primarily hunt elk and figure it would be better medicine than the .30-06 on them. Any of you know how the recoil is in a tikka? thanks again!

Thats good to know, it would be nice to have a lighter rifle to pack around all day. Ive heard the recoil pad on a tikka isnt the best though

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.