25 PRC - 100 - 115gr

Closetohome

Kicking around the idea of having a 25 PRC reamer setup to run mainly the 101gr Barnes LRX. On a Win 70 short action I could easily keep OAL inside a mag box I think and Quickload says 3500fps+ is achievable with N560/RL26 which would be creeping up on WBY territory.

I know the 131-135gr high BC bullets are what everyone sets up but realistically I don't shoot over 500yds and looking at the numbers I am not giving up much to the higher BC bullets inside 500.

I bought cases/dies/bullets and going to setup a few dummies to see what they look like. Has anyone every tried it?

I just started shooting my 25 PRC. But I am primarily going to use the 134/135 bullets. I did load some 117 Hornady Btsp that I had, just to get some rounds on the barrel and brass. If I were to use mono's I would try Hammers first, they have shot better than Barnes in every rifle I have tried them in.

Kicking around the idea of having a 25 PRC reamer setup to run mainly the 101gr Barnes LRX. On a Win 70 short action I could easily keep OAL inside a mag box I think and Quickload says 3500fps+ is achievable with N560/RL26 which would be creeping up on WBY territory.

I know the 131-135gr high BC bullets are what everyone sets up but realistically I don't shoot over 500yds and looking at the numbers I am not giving up much to the higher BC bullets inside 500.

I bought cases/dies/bullets and going to setup a few dummies to see what they look like. Has anyone every tried it?
I shoot 145 BH out of my .257 WBY. Do not let anyone, including myself, talk you out of your original plan. Good luck and have fun with it.

We've done the 6.5 Sherman imp version and people will be bushing down our dies soon for the 25. The 6.5 gained an average of over 100' in a side by side test with a std prc in identical rifles. EX: 6.5 PRC/SI at 3144 with 144 hybrid and 3045 with 156 EOL with 22" barrels.
The 25 would no doubt perform the same. Either the std or the imp would be a nice 25 round with the bullets now available. Good luck with your project.
Rich

We've done the 6.5 Sherman imp version and people will be bushing down our dies soon for the 25. The 6.5 gained an average of over 100' in a side by side test with a std prc in identical rifles. EX: 6.5 PRC/SI at 3144 with 144 hybrid and 3045 with 156 EOL with 22" barrels.
The 25 would no doubt perform the same. Either the std or the imp would be a nice 25 round with the bullets now available. Good luck with your project.
Rich
I was reading the 6.5 PRC/SI write up from Lance and really like the SI concept applied to the 25. I already have the Lapua PRC brass would just have to figure out dies.

Going to setup dummies with the 101 LRX, 115 TSX, and 115 Berger VLD and see what OAL comes out to. If I don't like it then might do a 6.5 PRC/SI built around the 127 LRX.

I was reading the 6.5 PRC/SI write up from Lance and really like the SI concept applied to the 25. I already have the Lapua PRC brass would just have to figure out dies.

Going to setup dummies with the 101 LRX, 115 TSX, and 115 Berger VLD and see what OAL comes out to. If I don't like it then might do a 6.5 PRC/SI built around the 127 LRX.
Death by Lightning either way!
I'm waiting on my XM to arrive for a .25 Max.
Tired of the bucking and blast of my bigger guns and ready to have some fun with my 3rd .257
I've got good supply of 110AB, 115 BT and 133 EH. Hope I'm covered.

Your idea sounds just about perfect. The original .257 caliber barrel twist designed at it's inception will work perfectly fine for your under 500 yard range desire. The creeping up on the 257 Wby Territory is a bit of a stretch. No matter what bullet you use in each cartridge, the Wby will be pushing it 200+ fps faster. That said, the lighter bullets in a 25 PRC certainly will hang with the Wby shooting the heaviest bullets out to 500 yards. Another option is to run the RPM numbers on an 8 twist barrel with the 100-110s to see if the spin is too radical. If not, an 8 twist will shoot the lighter bullets very well and the option of heavier bullets is still there if you ever wanted to use them single fed in the short action platform.