25-06 w/115g Berger VLD's

remingtonman_25_06

Got a chance to load a few 115g Berger VLD's up for my Rem 700 25-06 w/24" shilen tube. I used RL-22 and Win cases/Fed 210 primers, bullets seated to just touch the lands. I loaded 5 rounds each at 50, 51, and 52g RL-22 and shot them at 100 yards off a portable bench and a leadsled. I think with a little more tinkering, I can get them to shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, but as of now, 50g shot the best, right at 1 MOA. I usually only do 3 shot groups, but decided to do 5 to get a better idea of the load. If I was only doing 3 shot groups, 50 and 51 both did 3/8", however the next 2 tell the rest of the story, lol. I usually never have any coyote, deer, or elk stand around for more then 3 shots anyways, so I think its kinda pointless to do 5 shot groups for hunting rifles. Anyway, here is the groups. Also did 57g RL-22 w/100g SGK. 1 was to foul the barrel before shooting the 115g VLD's, which is the 1 shot to the left of the 51g group w/the 115g VLD, then I shot the next 4 for a group. Not to great, but expecting a rifle to shoot the only load you work up for it for a givin bullet/powder combo is not to probable.

28svha9.jpg

The Bergers impress me more and more each time I use them.
It might be worth trying a few seated into the lands to see if accuracy improves.
I shoot them in my 220 Swift and just Saturday started load developement in my DPMS AR-10 .308
They shoot REALLY nice.

I have just been working with my 24" 25-06 and I shot some 115 Bergers with H4350 and IMR 7828. Best groups were with 7828 just over an inch at 165 yards. Seated just off the lands. I should try them touching the lands too.

Jeff

I tried to seat them in the lands .005"-.010" but when I close the bolt and unchamber the round, it seems that the lands push the bullet back in the case to where there just touching. I'm assuming I dont have enough neck tension?? So I just decided thats the longest I can go, touching the lands. Im sure accuracy would improve a little bit if I was to get in the lands, but I dont have redding bushing dies, am using RCBS, so I'll just have to deal with it I guess...

Am going to try again next week with 49.5, 50, and 50.5. Might also go up a little more to 53-55g as it seems there running on the low side for velocity. I should be able to reach 3200fps easily with RL-22. In the past, I"ve had no problems achieving 3200-3300fps with 115g NBT's and a stiff charge of RL-22. Bergers shouldn't be that much different. Would like to find the upper node and still have the accuracy.

I think I might also do a primer swap. I have some CCI 200's, and I might go buy a box of WLR's as well. I also have IMR-4350, 4831, H-1000 and Retumbo I could possibly try if I cant get 5 shot 3/4 MOA with RL-22.

I fully agree w/you on the 3 shot group statement from a hunting rifle -i was going to start a thread on that topic but there isn't anythng that could be said that would change my mind.
When developing a load -i shoot two shot groups -my attention span is very sharp and i know where the crosshair was when the trigger broke.I have found great loads in as little as 20-25 shots ,i then fine tune at 200yds only on windless days with two shot groups.

You definately have a lack off neck tension -but it is what it is -if you could anneal your brass or shoot some new brass and seat the bergers in 5-10K you might have a great load already.
Bumping the powder up sounds good -I usually find my best accuracy up there -lucky me.
Good luck 2506's forever-Mike

I am running them out of a bone stock savage barrel in a mac stock bedded and floated. 49 rl 22 and getting 1/4 moa. Right at 3000 and sometimes a little less. You may have have passed the velocity node. I think I get them down a little smaller but as I went up in powder I went up in group size.
Only thoughts,
T

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.