25-06 or ??

It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. The 25-06 barrel will last you much longer than a 257WM. If you are going to be varmint hunting then the 25-06 makes more since. If you are going to be deer size game hunting and shots will not be over 600 yards then my pick would be the 25-06. If over 600 yards then the 257 WM is better. Most 25-06 Sendero rifles that I have seen are real shooters. My hunting buddy that never keeps a rifle long because he is a trading nut has had 4 or 5 of them and they all have shot really well. I have basically a Sendero, Rem. 700 with #6 Shilen 26" barrel in a HS precision stock. 117 Sierra Pro Hunters at 3000 fps is a death ray on deer out to about 600 yards so far. BANG FLOP about 99% of the time.

We are all learning...25/06 is a beautiful shooter in my experience.Any cartridge based on a 30/06 case is great.Have fun with it .Cheers.

I use the 7828 SSC in my 300 WSM and it's fantastic! It's the only powder that allows me to load a 200 gr AB without compressing the powder.

Mud, how is the perceived recoil of the AI compared to a standard 25-06? I love shooting a standard.

Make sure you use a 1:10 twist barrel so you can shoot the heavier bullets in the 110-120gr range, which is where the Ackley Improved version really shines with that extra case capacity and sharp shoulder angle.

I shoot the Berger 115 VLD's, backed by IMR 7828 SSC. If you work up using this powder, be very careful, it builds some serious pressure, but the velocities are insane.

at I will do. im getting my 280 Ackley soon and am planning on using the 7828ssc in it. I hope it works.

I get the donor rifle tomorrow and that I will do the 25-06AI on. Also thinkin of the 6.5-06 AI. Havent come to a conclusion on which one I will go with.

What are your velocities with your 25AI?

I use the 7828 SSC in my 300 WSM and it's fantastic! It's the only powder that allows me to load a 200 gr AB without compressing the powder.

Mud, how is the perceived recoil of the AI compared to a standard 25-06? I love shooting a standard.

It's a little but sharper, and slightly more noticeable, but you're talking to a guy who will spend an afternoon punishing his shoulder with big magnums. So, to me, the .25-06 AI is like a relaxing vacation. It feels like a air rifle compared to my .300 Ackley Mag stuffed with 7828 and a 210 Berger. :D

Sadly, my .300 Ackley Mag feels like an air rifle compared to my 1874 Sharps .45-70 with LeverEvolutions in it, and a metal buttplate. LOL

That's precisely why I said "perceived" recoil. :) I'm used to mag rifles and, as you said, the 25-06 is like shooting a double deuce! I actually hunt quail with a CZ Ultralight 12ga. It's only 6lbs and has a 3" chamber. I only use 2 3/4" but when I'm hunting I don't even notice the recoil. I do notice the fact that I'm not lugging around an 8 lb brute.

I can't imagine shooting your Sharps. The worst I've ever pulled the trigger on is a .338 RUM with no break. I literally had to clinch my teeth together because I bit my cheek the first time.

Sorry to steal the thread, I'm done!

It's a little but sharper, and slightly more noticeable, but you're talking to a guy who will spend an afternoon punishing his shoulder with big magnums. So, to me, the .25-06 AI is like a relaxing vacation. It feels like a air rifle compared to my .300 Ackley Mag stuffed with 7828 and a 210 Berger. :D

Sadly, my .300 Ackley Mag feels like an air rifle compared to my 1874 Sharps .45-70 with LeverEvolutions in it, and a metal buttplate. LOL

Back to the OP, did you decide on either one? Were it me, I'd get the 25/06. If nothing else, it's a lot less expensive to reload in the long run and the versatility is outrageous! Not to mention the availability of over the counter options.

Back to the OP, did you decide on either one? Were it me, I'd get the 25/06. If nothing else, it's a lot less expensive to reload in the long run and the versatility is outrageous! Not to mention the availability of over the counter options.

Yep....I can buy a bag of 100 same lot matching headstamp .270 Win brass for $25. And a box of 20 .257 Wby brass will cost you near $75.00.

I bought a bunch of factory .257 Wby ammo when I bought my rifle new, so I have a nice stockpile of it. If you don't want to spend a metric crap-ton of money on factory ammo or brass, don't get a .257 Wby.

I wish I could find a 2506 barrel
Uhh this is really easy. Well I should say that finding a 25 cal barrel is easy, finding one prechambered won't be. If you are open to contours they are out there and easy to find. Lilja and Brunos have barrels in stock in a #3 and #4 contour.

I'm going with the Sendero special. .for two reasons ..One its a Sendero special. ..Two .I can use it for a lot more then just to hunt big game...and I like muds comment about it being open up to 25-06AI.. Thank you for all the comments. .!!!

I'm going with the Sendero special. .for two reasons ..One its a Sendero special. ..Two .I can use it for a lot more then just to hunt big game...and I like muds comment about it being open up to 25-06AI.. Thank you for all the comments. .!!!

Great choice!

I agree...Great choice indeed!

Here's a few pics of my Sendero SF .25-06 AI. I found a vintage BDL stock for sale at a store about 100 miles away when walking through one day. I called them a year later and they still had it! Picked it up for $75. Had the smith open up the barrel channel to float the Sendero barrel, and glass bedded the action. It's a shooter. And I think it looks pretty classy, too. You would never guess that I pieced that entire "Sendero SF" together from the action up... :D

CCD2C267-E7D8-41D4-85CB-28CD88B336BB_zpsxlp2sp0a.jpg

04996A70-530C-42E5-8288-32F8B5C38944_zpsnmfduryo.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.