25-06 AI

With what bullet?

I had a .25-06AI for about 8 years.

100 TTSX @ 3600 or 115 HVLD @ 3450.
Zapped quite a few deer over the years with it.

Now I have a 25SST and run a 133 @ 3199, but got them up over 3300.
I try only the heavier bullets 117 SSt, 115 Balistic Silvertip 120 grain Speer Hot core is my favorite all shoot with the same charge and pretty similar results. All clock around 3350. I try to dial it back with Ballistic tip as the pressure signs appear. I can't get any decent groups unless I use Federal GM 210. popped all GM215 out because I had already primed ahead. My loss but dividens are worth it.

I just had a custom 257 Weatherby built. It is accurate for sure, but it's very finicky. I also cannot get my extreme spreads below 35-40 fps. There is quite a bit of empty case volume that's just air space using H1000. I can get a load to slightly compress with N570…..still the ES's are high.

Do you think I need a hotter primer? I have tried the 215GMN and the CCI250. Maybe a WLRM?
With those slow burners a mag primer is necessary but with N560 it is not. It was my last resort to go against public accepted norms and use a non magnum primer but I wasn't going to shoot out my barrel with out a fight and go against accepted beliefs in my 257 Weatherby Accumark.

Whatever works for the gun!
I know of a .300 PRC that uses BR2 primers/
But it stays in down in Dixieland, no real cold temps

Never owned the AI version of the 25-06, but have a 257 AI, 25-06 and 257 Bee. All have 1:10" twists, barrels range from 23", 24" & 26".
Although I love my custom guns in 25-06, had 5 of them at one time, I always found the difference from the 257, either standard or AI, as not enough of a difference to warrant going to the 25-06AI as the 257 Bee is substantially more powerful.
The 25-06AI is a sexy looking beast, just as is the 257AI, but it only gets about a 100fps increase in velocity.
The 25-06 has never let me down, running 110g Accubonds at almost 3300fps is no slouch.

Cheers.

With those slow burners a mag primer is necessary but with N560 it is not
I have tested mag primers in both of my 257 & 270 Weatherby's and not once did I find them needed or useful, both run either WLR or Fed 210's with every powder, including H1000, RETUMBO or Supreme 780.
I NEVER assume ANYTHING when it comes to loading cartridges for LR.

Cheers.

Never owned the AI version of the 25-06, but have a 257 AI, 25-06 and 257 Bee. All have 1:10" twists, barrels range from 23", 24" & 26".
Although I love my custom guns in 25-06, had 5 of them at one time, I always found the difference from the 257, either standard or AI, as not enough of a difference to warrant going to the 25-06AI as the 257 Bee is substantially more powerful.
The 25-06AI is a sexy looking beast, just as is the 257AI, but it only gets about a 100fps increase in velocity.
The 25-06 has never let me down, running 110g Accubonds at almost 3300fps is no slouch.

Cheers.
One of the reasons I opted for the .257 WBY as my first .25 cal.
I have tested mag primers in both of my 257 & 270 Weatherby's and not once did I find them needed or useful, both run either WLR or Fed 210's with every powder, including H1000, RETUMBO or Supreme 780.
I NEVER assume ANYTHING when it comes to loading cartridges for LR.

Cheers.
This!

FWIW, my cousin had a 25/06AI built off a Rem 700 action. It wound up setting in his safe as he felt his .257 Wea. factory rifle had it beat on accuracy and speed.
YMMV - but I doubt it 😀

This would make a fine barrel burner. That much powder behind such a small caliber bullet would normally burn out the lands after a few hundred rounds.
Cmon Buddy." Burn out lands after a few hundred rounds". Really??? Did you actually need to re barrel yours after just a few hundred rounds. ??? If that's correct I would be really angry at Weatherby, and I would expect a new barrel from them. Thats why I suggested he google the caliber if he would Really like to know the Good and Bad, from numerous Shooters who own one and shoot one !! This way he could make an informed, intelligent decision, ( YES or NO ) based on real world experience. That's a good thing, I think.

Cmon Buddy." Burn out lands after a few hundred rounds". Really??? Did you actually need to re barrel yours after just a few hundred rounds. ??? If that's correct I would be really angry at Weatherby, and I would expect a new barrel from them. Thats why I suggested he google the caliber if he would Really like to know the Good and Bad, from numerous Shooters who own one and shoot one !! This way he could make an informed, intelligent decision, ( YES or NO ) based on real world experience. That's a good thing, I think.
I think he was talking about the 25 STW…hahaha

I like the 25 bullets and have a 250, 257 and two 25-06's. I've been thinking about a 257 BE. I like AI cartridges and have a few. Maybe running a reamer into one of my 25-06's would satisfy my itch for something new. I don't give a hoot for faster twist barrels. The factory twist on my 700's work fine for the heaviest and longest bullets I would use. Fast twist is an answer to a question that I've never asked and never will.

I'd expect to get ~ 100 FPS more with the heavier bullets - at the same pressure. I'm not sure that the difference that would make on bullet drop, windage, and affect on the game animals would make it worthwhile.
The big thing for me would be case life and case stretching differences.

Recent Posts