243AI Ready to go hunting

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
I went and did a little shooting tonight before dark. The load was RE-22 and a 105gr Berger VLD right at 3250 fps. The range was 543 yds, and I was shooting off the bipod in the grass. I shot one fouling shot to clean the oil out of the barrel (far right shot), then loaded up the magazine and shot them fairly quick. There are a total of 5 shots with the cleaning/fouling shot. Pretty happy with the results...now just have to find a deer to try it out on...oh, and need to learn how to read my own drop card. I forgot what elevation I was at and dialed the scope a couple to many clicks.
group2.jpg

Can't wait for deer season to open this weekend.

TMR, awesome group!!!!! I am going to try and test my load at 500 this weekend. We are supposed to get rain this Saturday, with very high winds. Once again, awesome group!!!!

Wildcat

Tmr,

You gotta love those 243AI's , so much fun and so easy to load for . May I ask what chrony you use and what a 10 shot string averages ?

Good hunting , Jim B.

Jimm,

I have been using a shooting chrony with the remote display....I ordered a new CED Melenium, but it has not showed up yet. I have shot quite a few rounds over the chrono when practicing.......My notes show a 10 shot avg. of 3247 with an es of 6. 1/2 gr less powder was right at 3200, but the es was alot higher. I have been told that es doesn't mean anything, but I figure the lower the number the more consistent the load will be. This seems to be a very consistent load. I like to take out as many variables as possible. (need as much help as I can get) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is an updated picture with the new camo paint job on the stock. Ready to go for the morning hunt.
243AI.jpg

TMR, the rifle looks great with the new camo job. Did you do it or did someone else do it. Anyhow, it looks great!!!

Wildcat

Wildcat....

I did do the camo job....I was going to do the whole rifle, but decided not to.

zingdingo,

I could not believe it myself.....That is the lowest that I have ever been able to get. When I get my new chrony I am going to shoot it again and verify the information. It is very accurate though. Most of the groups at 100yds are around 3/8" for 5 shots. This is definitely the most accurate rifle I own right now. Here is a pic of some fireform loads during breakin.
DSCF0069.jpg
DSCF0067.jpg

TMR, that is some excellent shooting. There is something about the 6mm, they all seem to be excellent shooters. Anyhow, awesome group!!!!

Wildcat

TMR,

My first 243 AI was/ is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned . So much so that I building another one in a more tactical configuration .

However , I have not been able to get the velocity AND accuracy you are now enjoying . It has been either one or the other ( velo vs acc )

I am encouraged that it is possible per you results and will continue to develop a load in that arena with this new one.

Thanks and congrats on a great stick !!

Jim B.

Jimm,

I hope you new stick gives you both.....Since we now have 2 of these and are probably going to build a 3rd, we have alot of load data from 70gr to 105 gr bullets. My dad has a 1-12 twist barrel and has tried just about every powder out there with the 70-80 grain bullets. I have been working mainly with the 87-105 gr. Seating depth changed thing alot with dad's rifle. His had a couple of different area where is shot better. My is jammed into the lands and shoots great there. I am pretty happy with the overall results so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.