243ai and light bullets

jaybic

Hello all,

I just have a new 234ai in an 8 twist and and it seems very willing to shoot 87 vmax and the 105 amax(several different powders with 5 under a dime) but I am trying to also use something like a 65vmax or 70NBT or something a little more fur friendly, and it doesnt seem to shoot those very well......I tried 10 different 5 shot groups()75/65 vmax and 70 NBT and about 5 different powders....varget...H4895..imr 4166...H414 and superformance) and only 1 was very good(4 out of 5 under a dime)....it seemed like I would get 2 or 3 to touch in one spot and then the rest almost touching and inch away.

Is this a technique issue(didnt happen that way with the 87s and 105s)?
Parallax off?
8 twist too much for the light bullets out of a 26 inch tube?

any other thoughts, ideas and opinions welcome and thanks for your time.

Have a great day!!

Jamie

Have you tried the 55 gr nosler ballistic tips? I had good results in a 243 and a 6mm-284 both were 24" barrels 1 in 9.25 twist (factory rem barrels).

Used Varget. 243 got 4050 fps and 6mm-284 got 4185 fps. Your rifle should be somewhere inbetween.

I would have figured the 70 nbt would have worked great. You never know till you try them.

At least you can shoot the 87 gr V-max.

Jamie buy a box of Hornady 58 grain vmax. My model 70 with a 1 in 10 twist in 243 shoots these around .25. Maybe we can learn from your results?

I have a Sako Forester 243 Win. that I had the same problem with. It would shoot 105 Gr Speer in 1/2 inch groups. 85 Gr. Sierra in 1" groups, 75 Gr Hornady HP in 1 1/2 groups. It has a very steep twist (metric measure) in the barrel. When Hornady brought out the 87 gr. V-Max I tried them and it shoots them respectable. With all the bullet weights in many calibers you nearly have to pick a bullet weight and then pick the twist for the barrel. If you read in gun history. Winchester chose 1-10 twist for the 243 Win. and loaded 80 and 100 in factory. Remington chose 1-12 twist for the 244 Rem. and loaded factory 75 and 90 gr. bullets. Since 100 gr. is required in some states for big game, that is part of why the 243 Win. became popular and the 244 Rem. died. You may be able to take it down to starting load and get fair groups. The RPM is to high on that short bullet for max. loads and is over stabilizing it. Good Luck in a solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.