243 win with 70gr blitzkings

gregw83

I finally got to try out my handloads today with my new Savage mdl 12 LRP in 243. my handloads were 70gr sierra bk's with Winchester large rifle primers igniting varied charges of imr 4064. I must admit that I was thrown for a loop when last 3 el' cheapo Remington factory rounds that I used for barrel break in could be covered by a dime at 100. I couldn't get anything smaller than much under an inch out of the blitzkings with 4 different powder charges. I wonder if it is in part because the wind started to pick up and I was shooting of the cab of my truck on my lead sled, or if it is because the rifle has a 9.25 twist. that twist obviously tells me that 85-100 gr bullets would be optimum, but my 223 has a 1-9 which 68's are considered optimum for that, but the 55's still shoot quite well, as in .5 or less. what do you guys think?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.